just discovered mum has sclc

Guest gay-anne

Guest gay-anne

hi, we have just found out purely by accident that mom has small cell lung cancer, the doctor kept telling her she had a virus which had been going on for 3 months with mom being sick on a daily basis. He finally decided to refer her for a chest x-ray just in case there was a pocket of infection. We were told she had lung cancer, to say we are devastated is an understatement as we lost our dad to lung cancer less than 2 years ago.

She had a bronchoscopy and a head scan, the head scan was clear and from what the doctors tell us it looks as though it is only in her lung, she starts her chemotherapy tomorrow and she has signed up for the trial drug (thalidamide). My sister and I are sick with worry that we are going to lose our mom...our best friend. Does anyone know if she has a chance of beating this. It is so hard to be positive when we have already lost someone else to this.[/img]

Gay-Anne,

Welcome and yes, she does have a chance of beating this. We all stand a chance of beating what we have. Do NOT listen to statistics. DO listen to the advice of the Dr. and if you don't feel they are giving the best advice, seek a second opinion (good idea anyway). Since it is just in the lung it will be classified as limited stage and that usually responds well to first line chemo.

She has my prayers and best wishes.

God Bless,

MO

Yes she does have a chance, a big one. I've made it this far and there's been no sign of my tumor for quite a while. Mine was found Nov 01, chemo and radiation started straight away and tumor had shrunk by end of Feb 02. PET scan showed no sign of cancer in May 02 and, except for the after effects of of treatment for a while, I have been real good ever since. I guess I'm almost a poster child!!

Stay positive for your Mom and MO's right don't listen to the statisics - I think my journey would have been much harder had I known what they said my chances were.

Will be thinking of you all, and rooting for your Mom.

Geri

This beast is ugly, but it can be beaten back. Is there a specific reason your mom is going straight to a clinical trial? SCLC typically responds well to chemo, and a couple of types are very well-documented. My mom has the same type of cancer, so I'm really curious from a personal standpoint.

Welcome, take a deep breath, and visit often.

Gay-Anne,

Yes, your mom certainly DOES have a good chance. Sounds as if it is limited sclc? That responds very well to chemo and radiation. I am a just turned 2 year survivor of limited sclc, having gone thru chemo and radiation in April - June 2002. No evidence of disease since then. GIve your mom a hug, tell her about us suvivors, and that she too can be one of us.

Joanie

Guest Phyllis

I do not want to alarm you, but I just came off of a trial of thalidomide/cpt-11 from I think it was Nov., 03 to Feb. 04. The thalidomide did nothing for my tumors and neither did the cpt-11, which I realize now is not a good stand alone chemo drug. Thalidomide is very slow acting if it acts at all. It made me very tired and constipated the whole time. I was on the maximum dose. The doctors know that thalidomide has the potential of shrinking tumors, but like I said it works slowly according to my oncologist. You may want to get a second opinion. I wish I had started out with standard chemo drugs now rather than some of the drugs I have tried. Good luck.

Hi

Just wanted to thankyou all so much for taking the time out to reply to my message and the support and posititivity. AFter reading your responses I feel much better.

Mom had her first chemo session today which i know was very nerve racking for her...the fear of the unknown.. but she came out feeling better than when she went in. She knows she will lose her hair but she is being so brave about it and we have already planned to go and buy a wig before it happens so she is well prepared.....being a bit of a glam mom i think she is looking forward to changing her hairstyles and colours on a regular basis!!

thank you all again and i will keep you posted.

gayanne (rainy uk)