Update on Daddy - More testing

sharyn

Met with the Onc today - the first words out of his mouth were, I want you all to take a deep breath because what I found is not dreadful. So, I kindof relaxed (abit)... then he proceeds to say he found blood in Dads stools so they must do a colonoscopy to rule out polyps, or cancer. He also said that the bone scan (the first Daddy ever had) showed two very small spots on his spine, which the onc said he is not concerned with right now? The mets on his hip are non-changing. I asked what Dad's Calcium levels were (as I know they increase with bone mets) and he said they were absolutely fine. I also asked what his CEA Marker was and again he said fine. He said his PSH? Prostate test came back alittle bit high at a 6 but at his age that was considered normal. He did also say that Dads lungs are absolutely fine!! Incredible huh? Diagnosed with Lung Cancer now we may be fighting colon cancer... I don't know where to turn, I don't know what to think - I am trying to be positive as the Onc seems to think we have a very good handle on whatever it may be, but I am so damn scared. Sharon

Sharon,

I'm sure this is very stressful for you all, but try to remember that the oncologist said "colonoscopy to rule OUT polyps or cancer." Don't anticipate what might turn out to be nothing. You've got my prayers that everything turns out okay and no matter what is determined, you and yours have all the support we can give. Take care and try to stay calm.

Blessings,

Margaret

Sharon, as I have said many times on this board before, "Don't borrow trouble." You have a lot to be positive about. I have told Lucie many times that tests are run just to be sure nothing is there. I think this is one of those cases. Enjoy this time of good news. Don

Sharon,

They always have to check, but oftentimes it is a simple polyp or even hemmoroid (I cannot spell that). A few times they fo und occult blood when my dad had his yearly stool tests and it was just hemoroids on the colonoscopy. Deep breathe!

Sharon, I agree with Don. Don't borrow trouble...it could be something very simple. I would be a little concerned about the spots on his spine but the doc seems to think that is nothing to worry about at this time. Try to take a deep breath and face whatever it is at the time....believe me, I know that is easier said than done but it is good advice...the deep breaths do help the stress. Will be thinking about you both and as always, keep you in my prayers.

Nina

PS The next time I have a scan coming up...in July....I will try to remember the deep breaths myself. :)

Sharon,

Right, don't worry. How are we supposed to do that? But I think a little bit of worry is good. If we didn't worry, we might postpone dr. visits and tests etc. So a little, just a little bit of worry is okay. Just don't let it consume you, that is not okay.

I also think, that every visit and test just brings all the bad stuff to the front of our mind. We had gotten back to a 'semi-normal' life and, boom, test time, we really have to think about this stuff again.

It sounds like you have a great dr. - thorough and optimistic. We will all think positive thoughts for your Dad and you must too.

Ginny