I'm New Too and Really Scared

I was dx'd 11/03 with SCLC, neuroendricine, large cell, inoperable. I had 6 rounds of chemo, carboplatin and VP16 and handled it very well. My last CT/PET was 3/04 and showed NED. My next scans are scheduled for 6/04 and I'm scared to death. My doctor plans to put me on Iressa if the cancer is back. Isn't that a last ditch treatment?

Claris,

You're getting ahead of yourself and the panic is apparent. Take a nice deep breath and let it out slowly...another one...REALLY deep now, fill up with air to your toes and make that diaphragm work! Slowly let it out...breathe in through your nose...deep....and out through your mouth... Can you feel your body relaxing? Is that iron band around your heart letting up some?

Now, anytime you feel stressed, remember to breathe...very important lesson...

Iressa - is NOT a last stage, last ditch effort. It really works for some people and can hold them stable for quite some time... AND, if you're NED right now, DON'T borrow trouble!

Talk to your doctor about anti-anxiety meds - either the full dose every day kind or the Band-Aid of Xanax, taken in high stress moments. If you aren't already seeing a counselor, find one. Your GP can suggest one. It helps to have a real person to talk to sometimes - a professional that can lead you in coping mechanisms and mental healing.

One day at a time, don't panic, take it one day at a time.

...and remember to look both ways when you cross the street. Just because you are being treated for Lung Cancer does NOT mean you have been removed from the "Random Beer Truck Lottery"! Continue to take care of you, just be a bit more "concerned" or a "hyperchondriac" as opposed to a hypochondriac... Don't let little things become big things where sniffles and coughing are concerned and take care of yourself - eat right, exercise..

Hang on, in the words of Franklin D. Roosevelt, "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." We're all hanging in right next to you...company's great, the ride can be nasty.

Welcome, I hope we can give you what you need and get the panic and fear down to tolerable levels.

Becky

aka Snowflake

Thanks, Becky,

I'm really not in as bad shape and I must have sounded. I am taking Paxil and it helps me a lot. I also go to a lung cancer survivors group once a month which gives me a lot of hope. This Arissa thing came up and had me worried. I'm still praying for another remission.

Claris

Claris,

What Becky said.

I think one of the things we all seem to do to make life worse for ourselves is to jump into the future and speculate on what tomarrow, next week, or next month might bring. When I start doing that I have to stop and bring myself back to NOW. I have to reminde myself the only day I have is today and what is REALLY important is how I live my life today. Way I figure it is tomarrow will just have to take care of itself. In the meantime there are places to go, people to see, and things to do TODAY.

As for tomarrow? Well, I'll figure it out when I get there. :)

Dean

Here's hoping the next scan just tells you more of the same good news. It sounds as though you have done very well. It is very natural to be anxious about scan results, but try to think that they will just confirm that you are still fine. No, Iressa is not a last ditch approach...I was on it and am now on another treatment. I am hoping that you won't even have to think about it when you get your results. I'll be watching for that post!

Margaret

I would talk to another Onc also. Has your Dr brought up PCI? You should do research on PCI.

Iressa, I think, is usually not given for SCLC.

I would get some 2nd opinions.

Is your cancer actually a mix of SCLC and large cell neuroendocrine or a pure SCLC?

It is great there is NED!! I am not a Dr, but just mentioning Iressa for SCLC doesnt seem right.

Again I would like others said concentrate on how well your response was.

Guest Phyllis

I think being a little stressed out at first is normal. But it sounds like you got some really good results. NED is what we all want to hear. I was on Iressa too at one point and then went on to other things. It is a good drug and there are a lot of good drugs out there. But like John said if that is not a drug used to treat your type of cancer I would want to check into that. Second, third, fourth opinions are always good.

I have had three opinions on my diagnosis and the concensus was it is neuroendricine, large cell, and they are treating it as small cell as far as chemo is concerned. It is very confusing to me but the doctors all agree it is a mixture and the chemo worked so far. I thought Iressa was only for NSCLC and it probably is, but apparently my cancer can be considered NSCLC too. In any event, I will be sure to ask for a clarification next time I talk to the doctor.

Yes, John, we have talked about PCI. My doctor is going or has gone to a conference on this subject just recently and is going to fill me in on the latest info. I am not of a mind to do this just yet. I'm terrified of the possible side effects and think I'd rather take my chances.

Thanks, everyone for your good wishes!

Claris