Question about large cell NSCLC

barbara w

I'm a little confused and scared after researching on the web on the type of NSCLC my dad has. A lot of what I found stated that large cell does not respond as well to chemotherapy as the other types, squamous, etc. Does anyone have any information on this? Or is there anyone out there with large cell that could tell me about their experiences with large cell? Thanks in advance - you guys always set my mind at ease.

Barbara,

When Robert was first dx with lung cancer, they said we should "hope"it was SCLC. The dx came back SCLC limited. However after 3 rounds of chemo Robert had a pleural effusion and they did a biopsy and found :cry: What they have told us all along is SC grows fast but will respond quicker to chemo, NSCLC grows slower but responds slower to chemo. We're just now beginning to fight the NSCLC. I'll let you know how we do....we can compare notes.

Good luck

Barbara,

I can only tell you my experience with chemo. I have NSCLC-IV/Large Cell Carcinoma and have been on/off various chemo treatments since June 2002. There was definite shrinkage with the first attack of Carbo/Taxol, which was changed to Carbo/Taxotere due to development of neuropathy. When growth started back, I entered an Iressa/ZD6474 clinical trial from May 2003 until February 2004. Presently I am on Gemcitabine and Celebrex. I am not a candidate for radiation on the lung tumor(s). I have liver and bone involvement. So far, except during the time of my first chemo, I have a pretty normal life (albeit somewhat limited). For that reason, I like the idea of a rather conservative approach to maintaining...so that I can continue with my life.

Prayers that treatment is tolerable and effective.

Margaret

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Barbara,

To make a very long story short, I am confused too. I am presently trying to learn all I can about large cell neuroendocrine non-small cancer. As I discover information, I will post it here.

Cat

My parents are both fluent in Gaelic, so it's nice to see the language out there.

Barbara

How unusual! Are they from the West of Ireland by any chance?

The language of a people should never die. The language is part of their soul.

Political Comment (sorry): If only the English hadn't forced the Irish to stop speaking their native language.

Yes, both my parents hail from the Connemara region of Galway. They came here in the 60s. They always say they wish they had taught us more of it (my sister and I can understand the spoken word and can get by verbally) but now with my kids they're trying harder to speak it to them. Are you from Ireland? If not, how did you become so fluent? It's a rare language to hear, much less see in print.

Sadly, I'm not fluent - just trying to keep the language alive - as are many people I know. I'm Irish-American. My people were originally from Galway.