Drinking alcohol and chemo

jcawork

Ok, may sound like a dumb question, but I can't seem to find any info on this. I don't do well on tranqualizers (which they have offered me by the truck load) so I have been drinking a few glasses of wine (hate beer and liquor) each day during this month which has really helped and has helped me sleep during this horrible month of diognosis and tests.

I will ask my chemo nurses when I get there next week, but thought I would ask those that know better if this is allowed, did you drink at all during chemo, did it help, make you feel worse, etc...My chemo will be 3 days together then 18 days off, not daily or weekly.

Thanks,

Jen

My onc said NOT to drink during the days of chemo or for a day or so before and after. I mean, with all the stuff getting infused, it makes sense to avoid alcohol...don't you think? Some of the anti-nausea stuff tends to make me a bit loopy anyway...so I wouldn't risk anything alcoholic.

Do ask your nurses. I think for someone who regularly drinks a glass of wine or two daily...that perhaps they might advise a bit differently. But as I tend not to drink that often anyway, my doc said to avoid it right around chemo but otherwise, it was okay to have one or two. I have mine made with only a half shot now, though.

Jen,

I felt it was a good day when I wanted a drink. I have drank before and after without a problem. I often left the infusion center to have a beer or two with lunch. They do say drink lots of fluids before during and after chemo. :lol: They never said which ones. They all have water in them. :shock:

I would ask the doctor because you may have different chemos than I had. They did tell me it was ok.

Good luck John

My Onc did not really say but one time in the middle of my chemo regime I had to see one of his partners and he was joking around about drinking alchohol as a source of liquids. I drank beer on several occassions during treatment with no ill effects other than getting more tired quicker. Fluid intake is a very important part of the process and I don't think alchohol.....in moderation.....is that bad. This is my opinion only, I am not a Doctor, I just play.....

David C

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

I'm ducking my head in case somebody gets mad at me and throws something. :wink:

Alcohol causes dehydration. Cancer and dehydration is not a good combination. If you feel the need to drink wine before bed, might I make a suggestion that when you wake in the morning, you attempt to drink water to replace any lost fluid. Just becauses a substance is a liquid doesn't mean it can hydrate you.

Just an opinion.

Cat

Cat...

I'm just tossing a kudo your way.....how's that? Cuz you're right...hydration is very important. Even drinking coffee is sometimes advised against....but man, I've gotta have my morning coffee or I'm just not human...you know?

I drink close to 2 liters of water every day. Been doing that for a long time now....so getting the necessary hydration during chemo has NOT really been a problem for me.

Again...I'd go by my doctor's advice on consuming alcohol....keeping in mind that alcohol is NOT gonna hydrate and that drinking enough water or juices is also very important!

FWIW, too...when I'm feeling more tired...which I did during chemo....having a drink wasn't very appealing as it does make me even MORE sleepy.

Like everything else with this disease...it's a little different for everyone...but I'd ask my doctor or the onc nurses and go by their advice, remembering that drinking a lot of water or clear juices is ALWAYS important during treatment.

Jen,

I was told that chemo causes your liver to have to work "overtime". Of course alcohol also places some additional burden on the liver. Therefore it is probably not a good idea to "tie one on" in the time just before and for several days after chemo. On the other hand I don't think a glass of wine or two is likely to be catastophic. All of this is just my relatively uninformed opinion.

I'm starting to think that our mental health is a critical factor in the success of all forms of treatment. If a drink or two helps then I say go for it. I feel we need all the help we can get. I never thought I would be taking the things I cam taking now (like Xanax), but I am. I'll do whatever I have to, to get through these extremely trying times.

Best Wishes,

Dave S

This came up when I went through chemo the first time, I was half joking when I said to one of the nurses that I thought I might like to go out for some margaritas. She told me to go for it, but then also suggested that in the actual week I was getting the chemo I might want to avoid it. At that time I was getting one week of chemo then 3 weeks off. She said if I wanted to drink in the non chemo weeks that would be fine.

I'm not really much of a drinker anyways so it didn't really come up, although once in this regimine some friends and I went out to a comedy club and I had a marg with no ill effects.

(((hugs)))

Kat

Another thing is what about Iressa and other drugs and interactions w/ alcohol? Fay posted some good info on how the liver metabolizes Iressa and that certain foods and drugs could lessen its effectiveness.

I would in moderation it probably is ok, but considering how the it may make the liver work harder and also dehydrate definitely try not to over do it.

JMO

Cisplatin is really hard on the liver and kidneys all by itself.

Ask the doctor, please , Jen, and go by what he says.

It is a balance, in the end, called "living"....

And never predict what medications esp new ones in new combinations are going to do for you, or not . You never know.

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn