lung infection

Has anyone had a lung infection so bad that they cough up a awful smelling stuff. Daughter lung was so bad they couldn't see the bottom of it on xray. She is on antibodics now for five weeks. She has been complaining for weeks. They said it was part of the lung cancer. Now she is so weak, she can't do anything herself.

God Bless

Dear Outside,

I wish I could give you some information, but I'm afraid I can't because I just don't know anything about that. What I do know is that you must be terribly frightened about your daughter, and I am so sorry you find yourself in this situation. I imagine she is on one of the stronger antibiotics and it's amazing how well they work. I will pray that she will be stronger very soon.

Love,

Peggy

Outside,

I sure don't know an answer to your question. I hope you have been able to participate in your daughter's care since the last time you posted. Do you know what other treatments she is having now? Or just finished? Sometimes treatments can cause the lungs to become congested, and congested lungs are more prone to infection. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

love

elaine

Guest NowakowDA

Mom has a tumor on her right lung that is partialy blocking one of her airways. When she was first Dx'd they couldn't tell which was the cancer and which was the infection. As a result, the fluid from that airway can not drain properly. From time to time she will cough up the most disgusting stuff I've ever seen. It ranges in color from a light yellow to a deep yellowish green. In addition, there will be blood mixed in with it. Her Rad Onc says that she can get infections behind that blockage. To try and clear it up he gave her Zithromax (6 tablet blister pack). He said for her to use her Albuterol in the nebulizer at least sixtimes per D. She also has to drink "lots" of fluids to keep her air passage open. The only thing I have to watch out for is a fever. If it goes up, I'm to call her PCP (primary care provider).

Don

I am so sorry about your daughter. I know she must be miserable. My dad had a lung infection that triggered other problems. His lung actually collapsed and he was put on a ventilator for a week. We were told that infections can get behind the cancer in the lung and that makes it difficult to clear up. If the antibiotics aren't working after 5 weeks, have they considered putting her in the hospital and trying IV antibiotics or something else?

Let us know how it goes. My thoughts are with you.

Pam