Any Ideas on Treating Low Blood Pressure?

DeanCarl

Hi folks,

Each week my hospice nurse takes my blood pressure and each week I've watched it drop little by little. The last reading (last tuesday) was 88/50. Hospice didn't seem too concerned as long as I wasn't getting dizzy spells when standing or whatever. Well, starting today I AM getting dizzy spells when standing from a stitting position or when bending over then standing streight again. So now I am getting a bit concerned.

I will be talking about this with my hospice nurse when she visits tomarrow but thought I'd pick a few brains here in the meantime and see if anyone has any suggestions.

Here's some things I've already looked into:

Fluid intake. I'm drinking a LOT of water and gatoraid (to replace electorlites) and also drink 2 "power shakes" each day (with the weight gainer 2200) to make sure I'm getting enough calories.

There is no sign of any internal bleeding, either in my stool or in the phlem I sometimes cough up. As a matter of fact both of those parts of my body seem to be working better than the other parts. :)

We have an excellent air conditioner so I keep out of the heat.

Medications. I take a small dose of Vicoden (one 5/500 tablet) every 4 hours for pain. Tesslon Pearls every 6 hours for cough. Fiber (Metamucal tablets) and stool softeners to counteract the constipating effects of the vicoden. And .25ml of morphine about once every 3rd day or so when the vicoden doesn't do the trick on the pain.

I'm almost convinced that the low blood pressure is the cause of the drop in energy I experienced about 3 weeks ago and, if I can, I'd love to come up with something that will help raise it a bit.

Oh yea, one final thing. I can NOT drink coffee due to irritable bowel syndrom. I thought the constipation from the vicoden would allow me to go back to drinking a cup or two a day ... boy was *I* wrong! :)

Any thoughts would be appreciatied.

Dean

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Dean, I really don't know except that morphine has been known to cause low blood pressure. But for goodness' sake don't stop taking it if you need it.

When I was on chemo - heck even before that - I was having very low blood pressure. As I've reported here before, when they did the first bronchoscopy, my BP was 60/40 something!! And I had no sedatives, pain killers, etc. During chemo it continued to be low. Now it's high.

Be sure you have them investigate. You take care, okay?

Cat

Dear Dean,

Well, you would THINK I would remember what they gave me just last year when my blood pressure was low after my heart surgery. Oh, I know, blood was one of the things they gave me,( :roll: ) but there was something else. None the less, one thing that has happened to me is my blood pressure comes out low from my left arm, however when we take it on the right arm it comes out just FINE!!!!! :roll::?:shock: No one seems to have an answer for that one, but just for the lark of it, try taking your bp in both arms and see if there is a difference. In the mean time I'll see what I can find out for you at the hospital tomorrow, I have my Support Group and I'll see some of the doc's and ask what they think. Can't hurt to ask.

Stay steady, and stop spinning your head around looking at Gay, maybe that's why your dizzy?! :P:P I know, you just can't keep your eyes off her!! :wink::P

(((((((((DEAN))))))))))

Hugs,

Connie

Hi Dean,

In the operating room we give a drug called ephedrine for low blood pressure. I'm not sure though if it comes in pill form and can be used at home. Unfortunately, I'm on holidays and won't be able to ask, but perhaps hospice will have some answers for you. If you feel dizzy, make sure to lie down with your feet elevated that should help.

Faylene

Well I think you are right about the correlation between your blood pressure and your energy level. When I was ill earlier this year, my blood pressure started to drop from the infection. It began going down by 10 everytime the third shift nurse came in to take it. I have never felt so bad. She started pushing the IV faster and it finally reversed by morning but man I felt crappy. I feel for you Dean.

There are lots of medicines for the blood pressure I'm sure. Get something from your doctor. Hope it corrects itself. Hang in there.

Rochelle

Dean,

My husband was having low blood pressure 90/65 when he had chemo and radiation at the same time, plus the allergic reaction to the taxotere. He was also unable to stay awake, slept nearly 24/7 and did get dizzy when he stood up, and was wobbly on his feet. It was very scary. The doctor gave him a low dose of decadron (I think 2 mg. a day) to "kick start" him and it worked. In less than week, he began to get energy back, stayed awake, the dizzy spells went away and blood pressure returned to normal. I think he was only on the low-dose decadron for 30 days or less and then he weaned off it, and was even able to return to work full time. Since you haven't had chemo, radiation or an allergic reaction, this obviously isn't causing your low blood pressure, but perhaps the decadron treatment might help. You might mention this to your nurse.

Good luck, and I hope you get back some energy soon.

Love,

Peggy

Sorry about the blood pressure problem, Dean. I think Cat has a point with the link to morphine. Steve had to use high blood pressure meds until he went on morphine. After getting off morphine, his blood pressure zoomed again - back on morphine, off the meds again. For him, that side effect of morphine is a plus :)

Dear Dean,

Well, I checked at the hospital yesterday regarding your BP and sadly and sorry to say, I came up empty handed. No one seemed to have any help in that area.

I do remember having this happen with my mom and they told us (way back then) not to get to excited about it, because it's all part of the journey! (so to speak)! They told us to just keep her still if she got dizzy and put her feet up. And, my mom was on morphine at the time as well.

I hope your doing better and please know your in my prayers and your missed here on the board my friend!

Dean, I too don't have any answers for the blood pressure. I just know that pushing the liquids as you are doing should help. I am sure by the time you read this you will have already talked to your Nurse and have some answers. Please let us know how you made out. I think about you often. Love, Sharon

Thanks all.

I talked to the Hospice nurse on Tuesday and she got ahold of my VA doctor (direct line to the doc ... doesn't have to go through the hours long wait of the VA phone center). He is ordering me some medication (not sure of the name, will post it when I get it) for the low blood pressure and will be doing some blood work next week (another benifit of hospice ... my hospice nurse will draw the blood here at home and drop it off at the VA clinic later that day) to see if he can figure out what is causing it.

Hope the meds help.

Dean