I recieved this in my email today

lilyjohn

I recieved this in my email today. Very interesting thought. I can't help but wonder how they made this come about.

>

>

>

>

> New M&M colors

>

> Pass this on to all of your friends. There are many women out there who

have

> breast cancer. Lets do all we can to support this cause.

> New Pink &White M&M's

>

> The makers of M&M candies has teamed up with the Susan G. Komen Breast

> Cancer Foundation to raise funds through the sale of their new " pink

&white

> " M&M candies.

> For each 8-ounce bag of the special candies sold, the makers of M&M

> (Masterfoods) will donate 50 cents to the foundation. The next time you

want

> a treat, please pick up a bag (now sold in stores nationwide) - you will

be

> donating to a great cause and satisfying your sweet tooth.

>

> Please pass on to all your family and friends. -- Thank you.

>

I agree that alot more can be done for ALL cancer research, but this is a great giant step in the right direction! I think its great. Dont know if I could con my 5 year old son into trading in his original m&m's for PINK ones though! :lol:

Jamie

Off to buy pink and white M&M's. I've been looking for a reason to cheat on this diet of mine!!!! But...a company this size could make a sizeable donation to the research effort without only donating a portion of profits to the cause.

Well I just have one question. How much money do they need before they find a cure??? I have dear and wonderful friends that are breast cancer survivors, and even THEY make comments on how nothing ever gets done for OTHER cancers!!! HELLO????? Every thing you buy these days has a pink ribbon on it and XXX amount goes to Breast cancer research, or this foundation or that foundation. Shouldn't they be a LOT closer to a cure then they are?

How can we make up some clear M & M's? Being this is the ribbon for Lung Cancer!

Hmmmm.... Clear M&Ms, Connie? Would those be the invisible ones, without any calories? I'll buy millions.

Seriously, it's true the breast cancer folks are way ahead of us (of ANY other disease, in fact) in fundraising and awareness. I've lost friends to breast cancer and know how terrible it is, too. The statistics I've heard are that 1 in every 8 women will have breast cancer in their lifetime (partly because we live so long now and fortunately it's less deadly in older women...). So the numbers are "on their side" as far as the number DIAGNOSED. And since more of them (percentage-wise) live through it, there are a lot of survivors out there fighting for the awareness and research money. And lots of corporations know that and get onboard to please their customers who are seen as innocent victims with families, etc. (all true, of course, and I'm glad they're making progress!).

I'm not saying this to justisfy breast cancer getting more attention and money, just to point out what I see in terms of fundraising. Our problems for lung cancer are very different, and we have "statistics" that are powerful, too! But we have that nasty stigma to get rid of, and many people think the tobacco companies should be paying for research (or that ALL lung cancer is related to smoking)... and we don't have as many long-term survivors as "they" have.

This just means the hill is a little higher to climb, but we have to keep climbing -- and shouting from the top of the mountain. It may take all the lung cancer groups banding together, at some point, and speaking with one voice in some kind of major (funded) campaign.

The trouble right now, too, is that when people want to "do something" about lung cancer, they usually think anti-smoking campaigns. That's important, but we know it's not enough! What about those who never smoked? Or quit long ago? Or those who did smoke -- Shouldn't we all be working for a cure, regardless? Of course we should.

Wish I had more answers... I do have an idea for some materials we can all use to spread the word, and I'll work on that later this month after vacation... But right now I have to go pack!

Praying for us all,

BeckyCW