New LC Survivor

Guest pepperpike

Guest pepperpike

Finished my treatments one month ago and just now realizing I am a survivor. I was to have more chemo, but decided to cancel as I was just too weak and thought it would do more harm than good....doctors agreed. I've been fighting for 6 months....chemo....lung removal...more chemo and 30 radiation treatments. Really need to meet survivors....to realize that there is life after treatment .......I just don't recognize my life anymore....I'm tired and forgetful....I begin to go like I used to and then have 3 sick days.....just can't go .... Hoping to meet others to give and receive support..

The first year is a tough one, especially if you have had to have the"works" . Not only physically but emotionally. Many of of need a little prozac or something to get us over the hump. It so much worry and stress. The good news is now you are on the road to recovery. I hope in sharing with us you find the help you need . Donna

Thanks for posting,

I read a book when my mom was diagnosed called "There is no place like hope"..It was written by a woman who is a 12 year SURVIVOR of metastatic breast cancer. She endured a year of chemo and then went on to have a bone marrow transplant..which ultimately saved her life.

Anyway..its a great book..gave me hope and comfort...She wrote that even if you only live one day past your diagnosis..you have survived.

I found that to be very true.

So, please stay with us and keep posting. Fear, sadness, anger, rage, and happiness are all emotions we are used to.

You are not in this alone..

Laura

Guest DaveG

Pepper:

Just remember your body has gone through much and needs to repair. I remember quite well wanting to get back out and get back to my normal routine after my first surgery. I finally came to the realization that life after lung cancer sugery is different, as is life after cancer.

I found that when had cancer there are twoo parts to your: Before Cancer, and After Cancer. You can never go back to life Before Cancer. That is gone, forever. What you can do howver, is use life Before Cancer as an example of how not to do things after cancer :):):)

I found that now I do things at a much more relaxed pace and live each day for the day it is. Tomorrow is not to worry about as tomorrow will be another day to live and I will try my damnest to make tomorrow better than today.

We all live on hope. We hope for the cure. We hope to be long term survivors. We hope that our family members will endure along with us. We hope that the damn numbers associated with this diseas will go down.

Hope is the main thing we have and my hope never diminishes and just gets larger with each day.

YESSSS, Another SURVIVOR and a 1- lunger at that!!! :lol::lol:

Wecome Pepper, from one 1-lunger to another, they took mine a bit over two years ago. No chemo or rad. though, like Donna says that first year is tough but this too shall pass, recovery is slow but it is recovery and we are survivors. For me, that first year was about gritting my teeth and just trying to accept what my body would allow me to do. Very humbling and even scary at times. :shock::shock: but again it gets better!! :D:D

God bless, be well and stay grateful

Bobmc - NSCLC- stageIIB -left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Pepper, I had surgery Feb 2002, then 2 more chemos and I feel I've aged ALOT. But I don't know if it is all from cancer and treatments. I think much of it is from weight gain. Who knows? But it does get better as more time passes! JudyB