Mom has a fever, other symptoms

Guest vanessa

Guest vanessa

My mom's been on Iressa for about 1-1/2 months and has been doing okay. She was doing great for a while, but more and more lately she has been feeling nauseated and has no appetite. She thinks it's a side effect from the WBR which ended about a month ago. She came down with a fever yesterday of 101, and I convinced them to call the doctor. They are on their way tot he doctor for bloodwork now.

On Wednesday she is supposed to have chest scans to see if everything has been working...is this a sign that her body can't tolerate Iressa, is it normal after WBR or it is something else?

Any experience with this?

Guest vanessa

My mother has always been a strong person, the kind that never gets sick or doesn't make a big deal about it when she is. So I feel like I need to monitor every single thing she does so I can get a real feel for whether or not the doctor has to be called. When I heard she had a fever I went nuts that no one was calling the doctor. A simple phone call is not inconveniencing anyone.

I am glad she is on her way to the doctor, her counts could be low, she could have an infection...it needs to be checked out. I know others on here have been ill after the WBR. Wishing her the best...let us know how she is.

Sorry your Mom is not feeling well, glad she is going to the Dr. My first fever had me in the hospital with a yeast infection in my throat. Ick! Hope all turns out well!

I know it is so hard to eat while you have nausea! I am suffering from it now and none of the drugs seem to work. Trying hard to force food down, it is so hard when your sick to your stomach! I guess I have a strong will about somethings, been forcing the food down, don;t want to lose weight.

Good luck!!

oh wow vanessa,

i've been going through all of that for the past few weeks. i don't mean to scare you, but i'm going to tell you my mom's experiences (just PLEASE keep in mind that this doesn't necessarily mean your mom is going through the same thing). my mom felt pretty nauseated throughout the 2nd and 3rd weeks of wbr and she couldn't really eat. she lost a lot of weight. she took iressa at the same time. after about 5 weeks of taking iressa (and after wbr was over for two weeks), her temp went up to 100 all of a sudden and she started having really bad chills and shortness of breath. we called the paramedics and took her to the hospital. turns out that she had a urinary track infection, pneumonia and blood clots in her lungs. she was released yesterday, but i had to take her in to the er again this morning 'cause she complained of a slight headache (the ct scan showed no change, thank God, so the docs told her to continue with her medications). since she is on antibiotics, her appetite is still pretty supressed (she has had this experience several times with antibiotics before), but her fever is gone, and she's breathing a lot better.

i'm praying that your mom feels better really soon, vanessa. please pm if you have any particular questions. i hope that i can help.

God bless,

mj

The Drs. told me that wbr effects people differently. My mom just got fatigued. All she wanted to do was sleep and eat.

Was your mother taking a steroid while she was getting wbr? How many brain mets does she have?

The combination of the brain mets with the wbr can produce some strange effects. Throw in a drug like Dexamethason and things can get worse.

Don