Needing Support . . . .

SteveW

Hi,

A new member here. I was recently diagnosted with NSLC after 65 years of healthful living. I am concerned as to how to handle my present condition and state of mind. Feeling very confused and quite anxious. Though I have strong family support, it appears a rather heavy burden for them as well. Would appreciate any and all suppport and information.

Peace and comfort to all.

Steve

Steve,

Welcome, although I am sorry you have to be here.

I do not have C, my husband has Stage 4 NSCLC, dx 9/02.

I have found great support, great information etc etc etc. from the wonderful people on this board.

I feel like I have made a bunch of new friends, and I don't know any of them.

Stay with us, ask your questions, laugh with us, cry with us when you need to. We will always be there for you.

Steve:

Welcome to this group. It is unfortunate that you must join us because of a very scary disease. As you see, I have "been there and done that", twice. I am sure that many others will respond to your needs and show that we survive on hope. "Hope" is the keyword here. Survivorship is utmost and that is what all of us are working for.

You have noticed there are many forums here, each addressing a particular subject in relation to lung cancer. We even have a sense of humor. You are more than welcome to become a part of a particular forum, or participate in many. Everyone here is wonderful. We all have one thing in common, we are either living with, caring for, have a family member with, or care a great deal about, Lung Cancer. Whether you are expecting to go through surgery, chemo, radiation, or a combination thereof, most of us can readily identify with each of the forms of treatment. We have the best educator, personal experience. Please, feel free to express your feelings and concerns, that is what we are here for.

Hi, SteveW. My wife is also 65, diagnosed w. NSCLC 10/02. She had no idea this was growing in her until she went to a neurologist to complain about pain and loss of function in her arm and hand. With further testing, the cancer was found metastasized to five bone areas, including the upper spine (that is the cause for her arm problems). She had a series of radiation on three spots, and is now taking chemotherapy (carboplatin and taxotere). Sorry you have to go through this, too. Reach out and let this group here help you with support. Blessings. Don

Dear Steve,

I read your post and can relate to the anxiety you are feeling. You are at the very beginning of all of this and for me that was the worst time.

When I was diagnosed with Stage IIIA NSCLC Adenocarcinoma 19 months ago, I felt like I had entered hell. I had never felt such fear in my life. Fear can be beneficial. It motivated me to learn everything I could about my disease and to identify top doctors in the field.

My point in telling you all of this is to let you know that it's perfectly normal to feel like your life is in turmoil because it is. A diagnosis of cancer is very shocking.

Believe it or not, eventually things will seem to settle down. I started taking an anti-depressant (Celexa) and an anti-anxiety (when needed). These medications helped me very much. I started on chemo and radiation and felt all my chemos (except Gemzar) were very manageable. Everyday, when I would wake up, I would assess how I was feeling. Basically I felt okay and so just for that day I was fine.

I was always told that my tumor was inoperable, but on January 10, 2003-a year and a half after the initial diagnosis, I had very delicate surgery. Right now I am still shaking my head in disbelief because I honestly never thought I would be alive now. Not only am I alive, but I am thriving--a little worse for wear-this has been an ordeal, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Steve, we never know what we will have to face in this lifetime. Cancer has taught me that when I am faced with crushing news like a cancer diagnosis, I will manage to get through it by eventually rising to the occasion. My husband/family are following this too. They have been with me every step of the way.

I hope my experience helps you. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Sincerely,

Ada

Hi Steve..... I cant say I know what your going through.... I can only try to imagine, as I have tried to imagine what my dad and others with the disease must feel... I can tell you as a daughter (of a wonderful father), to let family help you if you need it. We feel so helpless, we really want to help....The more informed I am the better I feel whether its good news or bad...... People are so willing to help here......I'm still amazed evertime I read some of the post..... You have come to the right place..... cathy

I agree with Cathy, never feel like your diagnosis/treatment/or just need for some help is a burdon to anyone in your family! My dad is (god love him) a very stubborn man, doesn't want to act or be sick. After he had been hosptialized this past weekend (he actually went out on saturday morning after a day of chemo in the cold to go out and get coffee for his dad) he realizes ok i need to take it easy and let my family help me.

Again i can not imagine mentally what you are going thru, I can see it on my dad's face that he is scared and is mentally giving in to ideas he maybe shouldn't be. Please do not do that cause i can tell you, that makes me more scared then the cancer. The cancer i feel can be beaten, a lack of will to do it..you need that TO beat it.

Stay on this board!!! lots of people here can help you cope if need be.

Dear Steve

I am so sorry about your diagnosis. I have Stage IIIB/IV NSCLC diagnosed last August. I agree with Ada - your anxiety will diminish in

time, and the fear you feel will help you fight.

I woke up this morning looking forward to spending the day with my

son, we spent the whole day shopping, went out to lunch, then stopped by my parents to say Hi. As I was driving home I realized I was singing along with the radio, and then I laughed.......... A few months ago I would

probably have been crying in the car. (By the way I'm not in remission -

my cancer is the same as it was in August)

I have learned to live with Cancer, and take each day as it comes. I am

less anxious and I am not obsessed by having this disease.

There is a wonderful and caring group of people here, many of whom are

living with cancer and in treatment..

When I was first diagnosed I was overwhelmed by what I was putting my

family through.........Of course this still upsets me, but I we are a family,

going through the bad and good together is what family is all about.

When my father was in treatment for cancer 3 years ago, I would have

done anything for him, and it never crossed my mind what "I" was going through, it was all about my Dad. Your family feels the same way.

I did'nt mean this to be this long.....just wanted you to know that you're

not along, and it does get better.

JanetK

Hi Ada,

Thanks for your response. I am so encouraged by your response. It feels good to relate to someone in the same situtation. Hopefully I will be able to draw support and encouragement from you and to eventually pass those qualities on to others. I am scheduled for CyberKnife radiosurgery tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well. I clearly will be in touch and feel I have found a partner in crime "fighting cancer". Talk to you soon.

SteveW

Redwood Shores, CA

Hello Group,

Thank you one and all for your positive encouragement and support. This is such a new experience for me that at times I am at a loss for words to express my true inner feelings. At this point I am still dealing with my situation and hopefully I will move on to more positive aspects as shown by all of you. I am scheduled for the CyberKnife procedure this week. I will inform all of the successful process.

SteveW

Redwood Shores, CA

Peace and Comfort to all