Sign in to follow this  
zaphodb54

Trying immunotherapy now

First off, I am a stage 3 NSCLC patient who was first diagnosed January of 2015. I underwent surgery (thoroscopic wedge resection) to remove a lime size tumor from my right lung. Everything seemed to be going good until a year later when a recurrence occurred in both lungs and the lymph nodes in my chest. More surgery was not an option so I was scheduled to begin radiation therapy and chemo. the radiation had some unpleasant side effects but resolved the issue with my lymph nodes. The chemo had very limited success so after a few months off to recover I started my second round of platinum based chemo and one other drug. I guess I was lucky since the side effects of the chemo were not that severe. I lost all of my hair of course and had a lot of fatigue and loss of appetite, but that was about it. Once again the chemo had limited success although it helped to keep the cancer from spreading to other organs. Last March my oncologist suggested Immunotherapy, so I began Opdivo infusion once every two weeks. Two great things about this. 1) I can tolerate the Opdivo a lot better with no side effects to speak of. And 2) My last CT scan showed some incredible results. the tumors in my right lung were stable (no growth) and the tumor in my left lung was gone ! I realize this is not a cure, but as they say it is a chance to live a little longer. 

What great news!  I am hearing so many wonderful things about immunotherapy!  My mom just started immunotherapy for a recurrence.  We were a bit hesitant at first because it wasn't the normal mode of treatment we were accustomed to.  Now that I've done research into immunotherapy a bit more, I am so hopeful for the future for this option of treatment.  I am very happy to hear that your tumors are stable or gone, with no side effects from treatment! I hope all continues to go well for you, take care!

Zaphobd,

How about that!  Thanks for sharing good news about your immunotherapy treatment.  

Most of us go down the path of conventional radiation and chemo but now targeted therapy and immunotherapy have become effective weapons to control and hopefully eliminate lung cancer.  I really appreciate you sharing your first hand experience with Opdivo.  There are many who look to this forum for hope and you've just shined a beacon.  

Stay the course.

Tom