new to this

Simeon

Howdy Si,

I too am a caregiver - for my mother who is currently battling NSCLC.  Please feel free to reach out if you have questions, need to vent, or just need some support.  We are here for you.

Take Care,

Steff

oh my gosh I just found out how to read all of your messages!! Im not so good with the technical side of things! Thank you all so much for the replies it means the world to me right now x

8 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Welcome here, Simeon. As Susan said, let us know how we can help you. You'll find many other caregivers on this forum

Bridget O

9 hours ago, Susan Cornett said:

Good morning, Simeon.  I'm sorry for the circumstances but glad you found us.  Is there anything specific we can help you with, or a resource we can guide you to?   We're here for you.

im not sure if you are getting my messages?

Don't worry Simeon, we will get any message that you post on these forums. Many of us use the "Unread Content" button on the forum's main page. So no matter what topic you post in, we will see your message. We are in all different time zones throughout the world, so there may be a short delay in someone responding to you, but we will respond. Hope all is okay.

Hi Si,

As Steff says, we're getting your messages. A lot of us are thinking of you.Tell us more about yourself and your situation, if you feel OK doing that. Do you need information? What can we do that would be helpful?

Besides this forum that we're on now, Lungevity has a program that can match caregivers with others in similar situations for 1:1 support. You can find out about it here: https://www.lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/support-services/peer-to-peer-mentoring/lungevity-lifelin, on this forum,

Hang in there.

Bridget

10 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi Si,

As Steff says, we're getting your messages. A lot of us are thinking of you.Tell us more about yourself and your situation, if you feel OK doing that. Do you need information? What can we do that would be helpful?

Besides this forum that we're on now, Lungevity has a program that can match caregivers with others in similar situations for 1:1 support. You can find out about it here: https://www.lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/support-services/peer-to-peer-mentoring/lungevity-lifelin, on this forum,

Hang in there.

Bridget

my girlfriend was diagnosed with breast cancer and then pre op xray showed a lung cancer. She's just had her top right lobe removed and 2 lymph nodes which are clear so its cured so far but she has a chest infection now so on the antibiotics. She's sleeping alot and im sure that's not good as the doctors said she needs to be active to help recovery??? Im so in the dark and i feel helpless 

Simeon,

Lobectomies are a common treatment for cancer, the fact that the lymph nodes were clear of cancer is really good news!!  My mom had a right, upper lobectomy as well, she was 61 years old at the time and has multiple other health issues.  Her recovery from the surgery was a long road, but she recovered fully and had been breathing better than she had in a long time because most of the COPD that she had was in the lobe they removed.  As far as being active to help recovery, "active" will probably look very different for her for awhile.  Her body needs to adjust to not only having a portion of a major organ removed, but also will learn how to deal with having less lung capacity - for many people, they do just fine with a lobe or entire side of a lung removed.  She just needs to get used to it.  She also just went through major surgery, so there will be pain and loss of energy just from the surgery.  She also may be affected by the infection, so be patient with her.  Be sure that if she isn't up and moving much that she is doing any breathing "exercises" that her doc suggested or that were being done while in the hospital - this will help from getting pneumonia.  If she get's a tiny bit better every day, that's moving in a positive direction...it's just a long process.

Helpless is a feeling we all feel whether we are the patient or the caregiver.  Every. Single. Thing. is taken out of our control when we are dealing with cancer, we've all felt as you do and many of us still feel completely helpless.  Will your girlfriend be receiving any type of treatment for the cancer in her breast?