Fertility question

beckyg

Does anyone know where I can get information about how chemo will affect my fertility? My oncologist in Houston looks at me like I have two heads for even suggesting such a concern--he's the one that thinks that if I am still even alive in five years, that will be a "very positive result". My oncologist here in town is more sympathetic, but he doesn't know very much--I don't think any of his other patients are remotely concerned about having more children.

Dear Becky,

I don't know the answer to your question about fertility. I do know that Estrea, one of the directors of this board, gave birth to twins after she recovered. I think she is a very positive role model for everyone--to me there's nothing more hopeful than bringing life into this world, especially after what she went through.

My son and daughter-in-law have friends around your age. The wife was pregnant when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent chemotherapy while pregnant. I am not advocating this at all, but just wanted you to know that there are a lot of wonderful stories out there.

It sounds like you may need to get an oncologist who would be able to address your specific needs--I hate to sound sexist, but a woman oncologist may be more sympathetic to your youth, gender and life issues????

Thinking of you,

Ada

Becky,

Prior to my diagnosis I had gone to see my gynocologist about fertility treatments. My PET scan revealed hot spots, one on my ovary and the other on my uterus. My pulmonologist referred me back to my gyno for an ultrasound. She thinks that all of this is fibroid tumors and not cancer. Of course anything short of a biopsy isn't reassuring to me. We also discussed fertility options. She said that chemo can destroy your eggs. Could put you into early menopause. I just burst into tears. Dr.K was so sympathetic that she had tears in her eyes.

Basically, freezing your eggs is not usually successful, because ice crystals can form on them. A fertilized egg stands a better chance of being frozen successfully. My doc suggested that perhaps my sister could donate her eggs.

Becky, I am sorry for the way your doc treated you. This disease takes so much away from you. I guess doctors expect you just to concentrate on the cancer, and wheter or not you will survive. Having something to look forward to in the future, a goal that you had planned for despite this disease, gives one the will to survive. It offers hope. When I go to Baylor Medical Center for various tests, I always pass by the maternity ward and neonatal unit. I think to myself "Why God did I get cancer instead of a baby?" Perhaps it is because God wants me to care for other people's children. I am a counselor and my job enriches me.

Kids have taught me what is truely most important in life, and because of that I feel blessed. I hope the best for you and will think of you in my prayers.

Cheryl