Update on mom and questions

randired

Mom got through her first session of gemzar last week pretty well. She was REALLY down just before (talking that she is going to die the next day) and after she felt ok, so she perked up. Either she realized that the chemo is not as horrible as she thought or the anti-depresants were really kicking in. Towards the end of the week she started to feel nausous and uncomfortable. Her dizzyness is still the same or worse, so her depression went to rock bottom again.

Today she had a blood test. her white blood count was low so she got a shot of something. I dont know what it was, but its to help bring the vount back up.

My question is about the dizzyness. If she is still so dizzy, does this mean the radiation didnt work? could it be from all the drugs she is on? she is still on 8mg of steroids and every time they try to reduce it, she gets the severe dizzyness again and they up her up to 8mg. Also, do you always react the same to the chemo (same kind) or is every time different even tho she gets the same kind.

Her brain MRI isnt until the 2nd. I am so impatient.

Thanks for your help and reading.

I don't know anything about your particular questions. When Becky had chemo, she felt worst about 2-3 days later.

And I totally relate to the roller coaster. When Becky felt good, the sun was shining and birds were singing and everything was great. And then if she had a bad day, the whole world was collapsing around us. This is a horrible battle. I guess I can offer the solace that others have been there.

Curtis

Randi,

I know there are other medications that are given for dizziness (vertigo) that work very well, i.e. Antivert, Ativan, so you might ask about those. My husband had periods of being dizzy and wobbly while on chemo/radiation and he would have to sometimes brace himself to keep his balance. He was dehyrdrated and his blood pressure was low, and two bags of fluids helped a lot. He still was told to get up slowly from a chair, etc.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Peggy

boy, Randi,

You always come up with good questions...

The treatments are tough. It is hard to watch someone you love suffer. I can't speak to the dizziness, as that was not one of my side effects. Everyone has a little different experience with those... Hang in there... if you're not sure about something, do what you're doing right now... ask. Did you read OKDebi's post about the Goblins? It helps all of us, when someone is brave enough to confront the boogiemen. Such good stuff on here, Randi. I wish you and your mom and dad well. (I was missing that picture of J for awhile there...good to see him back)

Cindi o'h

The doc is saying that the dizzyness is STILL from the masses in her brain. Only the MRI will tell us. but sometimes i think she is on so many thiongs that it could be that too.... i feel like i am pacing the floors. This is a difficult battle and to top all of this off, she was a VERY difficult person before this! UGH, we all have our work cut out for us.

She probably got Procrit or Aranesp, which help build red blood cells. If she is on the anemic side, that could cause dizziness. Also, the medications or the chemo might. Another possibility is dehydration -- something you really have to watch when someone is under chemo or radiation. Be sure she gets enough liquids. Don

Randi,

Just thought I'd add a comment to your last post:

This is a difficult battle and to top all of this off, she was a VERY difficult person before this!

I guess I'd have to say my husband was a somewhat difficult person before dx, too, and I think we would normally expect them to be the same or worse. This isn't always true. Your mom was just diagnosed in September, so the reality of all this, and especially her great chances of survival, haven't really had time to hit her yet, so I think it's understandable that she's depressed and reacting this way.

Even though my husband could be described as a little difficult before, he's actually softened a great deal over the past 6 months or so. He was very angry and distant for the first couple of months, so I just kept my distance and kept my mouth shut.

I think I can attribute his softening, however, to this attitude: I'M ALIVE!!! He just doesn't get so angry at things anymore, and he has just been rolling with the punches of day-to-day life. He's really quite different, plays with the dogs more, is quicker to apologize if he snaps at me, isn't so rushed and demanding, etc.

I will hope and pray that will also be the case for your mom.

Love,

Peggy

Randi,

My husband had some dizziness the whole time after he had his brain surgery and WBR. The neurosurgeon told him it was to be expected. Our PCP did give him some Rx for the dizziness but told him he probably wouldn't like it since it would make him very tired. He didn't use it very often.