Your Experience with Altima

kimblanchard

Last week, I had a reaction which landed me in the hospital for the chemo regimen that I was on - Vinblastine and Mitomycin. At the same time, we found that the two small lesions that I have in my lung decided to grow. So, we are changing the chemo regimen to Altima.

I am looking for your experiences with tolerating this drug. I thought that I was doing very well on the old combo - was able to keep up with my part time work schedule and my 8 year son.

I know that I have to recover from this drug reaction which will take some time but I hoping that I can tolerate the Altima well.

Please let me know what your experiences have been like.

Hi Maureen! Sorry I don't have much info on Alimta for you. My Dad is scheduled to start Alimta on Nov. 16th. I have heard from others that it is a fairly easy chemo. Dad was cautioned to eat a good diet. The Alimta depletes your body of B12 and Folic Acid. Dad was given a B12 shot last Tuesday and he has a prescription for Folic Acid tablets which he has started. I hope that Alimta for you and for my Dad and I pray that it treats you kindly. (Oh yeah, Dad was also told to take a multi vitamin daily)

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Hi Maureen!

I would ditto everything that Angie told you. Alimta is very new, and almost every day I see where some people on the board are beginning to get it or about to get it. I doubt that too many people have much experience at this point.

It's my understand that it is as effective as Taxotere without all the harsh side effects, and less chance of allergic reaction.

Besides that, my husband's company makes it, so I'm praying it's a winner! :D If Iressa ever stops working for him, I expect this might be the choice chemo for him to try.

Best of luck, and many prayers!

Peggy

Maureen, I wish I could give you some info, but my mom just started this regimen. Her first treatment went well, her only complaint was that it felt warm going in, much like CT contrast. In fact, she felt so good, she fears it's not doing anything.

Hope it works out well for you.

~Karen