Giving Laser Surgery a Try

SJAS

Hello all,

Again my apologies for not keeping up on the board very well. My time has gotten even shorter as I try to take care of all the tasks Steve can no longer see well enough to do. (Heaven help us as I take over the recordkeeping :? ) Steve had his first laser surgery on his right eye today to see if we can stop further damage from the radiation. Both retinas are swelling and bleeding and there are new blood vessels forming in the front of his eyes (not a good thing). His left eye will be done next Thursday.

It's looking pretty doubtful that much vision will be restored at this point. Most of the world is a pretty blurry place to him - still no ability to read or discern anything other than a few vague shapes on TV. He still has his sense of humor though. He's now adding limited vision jokes to his chemo, baldness, radiation repetoire.

Even with all this going on, I still feel that we are so blessed with how much better Steve feels this Christmas. At times last year, I wasn't even sure he would be here for the new year. We took a beautiful walk today - (hmm, better make that an invigorating walk -Steve misses out on the beautiful part!), holding hands and chatting away. It doesn't get much better than that :D

You're right Joyce it doesn't get much better than that.

I hope that the surgeries will be successful for Steve's eyes. Losing my vision is my worst fear. I have a friend that just had surgery for bleeding in her eye from diabetes. They injected silicon to try to stop the retina from detaching. They have to go in again and remove the silicon. We have been joking that since that silicon is already paid for, couldn't it be used somewhere else that could use some enhancement.

Joyce, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and the hope that 2005 will be nothing but good news.

Joyce, my goodness you two win the Best Attitude Award! My goodness, talk about looking at the bright side! (oops, bad joke). I hope these laser surgeries do the trick and I am jealous of the walk together, Dave is not up to many walks these days, but I am glad we can sit and watch Law and Order reruns together!

God Bless,

Karen C.