First Scans

KarHart

My husband had his scans after the first two rounds of chemo. Slight shrinkage in the lung nodule, slight growth in the liver nodule. Overall, the Dr. considered it a wash and called it stable. There is still some concern that he has 2 primary cancers since the lung was never biopsied. After the next 2 cycles if there is still growth in the liver, I think we are going to look at other options there (surgery?) Has anyone had surgery or some other procedure on a mets to liver? From everything I have read here I know stable is good, but I was hoping for better results from these first 2 rounds. Is is realistic to think that the next 2 rounds will do better? Thanks for any help and just everyone being here.

My husband had his scans after the first two rounds of chemo. Slight shrinkage in the lung nodule, slight growth in the liver nodule. Overall, the Dr. considered it a wash and called it stable. There is still some concern that he has 2 primary cancers since the lung was never biopsied. After the next 2 cycles if there is still growth in the liver, I think we are going to look at other options there (surgery?) Has anyone had surgery or some other procedure on a mets to liver? From everything I have read here I know stable is good, but I was hoping for better results from these first 2 rounds. Is is realistic to think that the next 2 rounds will do better? Thanks for any help and just everyone being here.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with liver surgery but I'd urge you to make that tumor(s) on his liver a priority item.

Good luck.

Hi KarHart,

My husband has one liver met, but it is very small. Iressa initially shrunk it a little, and has now kept it stable, so I think it is only about 8-10 mm. I've never heard of anyone having liver surgery, so I don't know if it is done or even can be. That would be a good question to post on Ask the Experts.

I read your profile. My husband was also in Vietnam (1968-69).

Keep us updated, please, and have a great weekend!

Love,

Peggy

Thanks to everyone. Since it is possible that he has 2 primary cancers the Dr. did say at the beginning that at some point we might look at surgery on the liver. I am more interested in the cyber knife or radio ablation therapies since they seem to be easier. My husband just wants it cut out. If he had his way, both tumors would be cut out. We understand the philosphy that once it leaves the primary site it can show up anywhere, but still why not get rid of it where it is? From what I have read about the cyberknife it seems like a good idea to go after both the tumors. Even if it does pop up somewhere else at least they would be gone (hopefully).

Sometimes I worry we are not being aggressive enough. The clinical trial my husband is in is to target the genetics of the tumor by taking a biopsy of it and tailoring the chemo to more effectively target your particular tumor. I guess that's why I expected better results after the first 2 rounds of chemo. I hope we are not using up valuable time in this trial. I am definately going to look into other options.

I am more worried about the liver tumor since it has more than doubled in size since orinally found, while the one in the lung did not grow much at all before he started chemo. Again, it makes us wonder if it is a primary instead of a mets. Fortunately, they are both small. This is such a scary time, how do you know you are doing the right thing?

Hi, hon, just wanted to offer you what support I can. As to doing the right thing, I educated myself as much as possible, and a lot of that was from looking at profiles here on the board, but in the end I relied most on the doctors to know their business. Sure am wishing you wise decisions and lots of good times. I'll be watching for your posts. Keep hope, there is a lot of hope here. Margaret