Tattoo's

Justakid

OK, thought I would post here before I go to "Ask the Experts". Maybe someone else has run into this..........

How long does it take your body to heal after chemo?

I was thinking about getting a little lung and the date I quit smoking tattooed on my stomach BUT I don't know how long you should wait. I'm not taking any blood thinners or anything else that should affect my ability to heal. But after going through everything I've been through I don't want to hurt myself either.

Now I know the pros and cons of tattoo's, I got one many years ago....I just was wondering if anyone has come up with this unique situation after cancer treatment. I keep forgetting to ask the doctor!

No clue Beth, but only you would come up with a "little lung". What exactly will it look like? I mean have you drawn it out or anything? My step-son's best friend is a tat artist as well as his dad. I will give him a call and see if he knows anything. The thought of the pain is more than i can handle.ouch.

Kim

One man's opinion, Being a retired sailor (submarines) I have seen my share of Tatoos. In most of the cases, the Tatoo-ee has said "I wish I had never got that damn thing" Don't think they are painless either or infection free, I've seen infected Tatoos...not a pretty sight. Hmmm can you tell my opinion.....it didn't cost you anything and its worth about as much.

luv

jim

I remember a few years back when I wanted to get a tatoo, but didn't have the nerve to do it. My husband came up with this quote "Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable" to try and encourage me to get that cute little dolphin tatooed on my rump. Thank goodness I was such a chicken back then and didn't go thru with it. I commented the other day that had I been more daring...my little dolphin would have become a killer whale as the years have not been so good to me. :oops:

Anyway...no advice to your question Beth...just strolling down memory lane and thinking about all those things that time has not yet tempered. Good luck with your tatoo. Will you post pictures afterwards? :wink:

I got my first tatoo on my 45th birthday this year.... cute little shamrock with a lady bug sitting on top of it... very small and on my inner ankle... It only took about 15 min. to do and the pain was not bad AT ALL... (and I am a big whimp)... only problem I had was the red ink in the lady bug took a long time to "develop" the tatoo artist told me that alot of people have trouble with red ink as the body tends to reject it... Keep that in mind, but i say "go for it" if your onc says its okay. Sharon

Beth,

Not sure how long the body takes to heal...

My husband marked our battle with a tattoo - a koi. The koi is a symbol of perseverance in the face of adversity. Pretty much summed up a battle with lung cancer, don't ya think? He was covering a tattoo he had gotten in his early 20's (remember, "ink" is permanent) and the fish picture is approximately 8" x 6". Six sessions of an hour, lots of blood, lots of pain...and it's beautiful. Me? I'm a chicken...had entertained the thought of a tattoo, but sat with him for all of his sessions and decided it sure wasn't for me, vibrating NEEDLE and all! :roll:

...I read your post. I see you know what you are getting into as you have already been in the chair at least once... If you decide against the little lung (which may end up looking like a cotton blossom), try for symbolism - just a suggestion.

...and choose a good artist. Clean needles, gloves, sterilization....don't tempt Fate!

xxoo,

Becky

OK sorry...another country heard from...just want to stress what Becky said about sterilization. It's real important...those instruments are contaminated with blood and you need to know you're safe. I have an employee and a friend that both contracted Hepatitis C from a tatoo.