centi m V milli m

BoBennett

Just for informational needs. My tumor has always been judged in centimeters and I hear a lot of folks talk in terms of millimeters. For those like me, not a good judge of these little increments and still learning about this stuff.

1.58 mm is a 1/16” 3.17mm is an 1/8” 6.4mm is a 1/4 “ oops 25.4mm is an inch 2.54cm is an 1 inch

10mm is a 1 cm

The reason I am talking about this, is, tumors are not necessarily round. Supposing when a CT is done that for some reason or other the tumor shifts, it only has to shift a tiny little to make a difference. The size could well be biased by this shift. Many folks live and die by the reports. And I have listened when folks are concerned about 2 millimeters. Even if the tumor isn’t round, I would think it certainly isn’t smooth and rough edges could easily change the true measurement.

A recent scan showed a 20% increase in my tumor size, I wasn’t all that concerned because, to me that is in the realm of a possible mistake. My new report talks specifically to thin side and fat side, not something that was mentioned in other reports, possibly because of nothing to compare with and it wasn’t known.

I could be wrong but its something to consider, as reports often dictate changing treatments and such

Bo

Or you could say

When you know millimeters......multiply by............to find inches

........................mm................0.04.......................inch

........................cm.................0.4.........................inch

........................meter.............3.3.........................feet

........................meters............1.1.........................yards

........................kilometers.......0.6.........................miles

Easy? not really. Donna G

Thanks Bo, you are absolutely right to think that way...I stress so much over the dimensions, and not being a metric person muself, the chart will certainly come in handy, thanks Donna. Now I only have lymph nodes they are keeping track of , not tumor, they don"t measure them for some reason, wonder why? Does anyone know? They just keep track of which one it is (and thank goodness,) so far, always, says node measures "same as previous scan" "Stable disease"...

Thanks Bo, you are absolutely right to think that way...I stress so much over the dimensions, and not being a metric person myself, the chart will certainly come in handy, thanks Donna. Now I only have lymph nodes they are keeping track of , not tumor, they don"t measure them for some reason, wonder why? Does anyone know? They just keep track of which one it is (and thank goodness,) so far, always, says node measures "same as previous scan" "Stable disease"...

I dont know if tumors shift or not. I guess that would depend on how they are attached and to what. I would also assume the density of a mass would be something that would be crucial because tumors are three dimensional--they aren't flat. So a measurement of perimeters isnt the complete picture.

Who knows what they go on, lol!

My scans always show precise measurements of the effected nodes.

It amazes me the differences in the types of readings people get.

I have a CT scan from 20 years ago that is a full page--and there was nothing wrong with me.

Now that there is, the report is barely a half a page.

Boy can I relate.

my last CT scan (1/11/05) indicated a 4mm (roughly 1/8 of an inch) nodule (that has been present on film for 9 months- but this is the first time it was noted on a report by a radiologist) of "indeterminant" nature. Doc thinks it a small piece of scarring. Also, a 2mm spot (1/16 of an inch) on my liver that has been there since they statred doing teh scans that he thinks is a small cyst.

Needless to say, my wife and Onc think that it is likely "nothing to worry about", and I cant stopped ruminating on the "what if's"

This helps put it in perspective.

Joe B