In a Funk

Tina,

I get in those funks, but they only last about 2-3 days. The last one I had, though, lasted for about 2 weeks, which was way out of character for me, and things were going well for my hubby, too.

Thanks to my friends, I came to realize that the reason for my despair was because I knew that my husband was way past the survival time that was predicted for his advanced disease, and even though he was doing well, I felt like the hammer was going to drop any day because "it was time". My thoughts kept taking me in that direction. Does that make sense? I'm over it now, and back to being happy that TODAY is good and not worrying about tomorrow.

Anyway, what I do is usually not post on the board very much, and dump my feelings on my friend in private emails. LOL! I know she's reading this.

If you don't have a close friend that you can dump your feelings on, then send me a PM and let those feelings fly! And actually, I think most everyone on here would say for you to to just let it out right here on this thread, but I can never bring myself to do that. Don't know why - it's just hard for me to do.

All my love, hugs and prayers headed in your direction. I know how those "funks" feel.

Love,

Peggy

therapy? seriously. I couldn't do this right now without my clinical psychologist.

it might help. are you taking antidepressants? I really don't think they're much good without some good talk therapy to back 'em up, but they might help too.

and of course eating right and exercise is great for a funk. my shrink really pushes that.

KC

Tina,

I go thru those "funks" too and looking back it does seem to follow the same pattern as yourself. I don't have any advice, but wanted you to know that you aren't alone in these slumps. Yeah, I guess the whole eat right and get exercise theory is good advice...but a dark room, warm bed, fully charged tv remote and box of candy works good in a pinch.

Love and prayers,

Oh god, the days I wasted being in a funk, worrying about tomorrow and what was going to happen to Daddy... I wish I could turn them all back in now for additional days to spend with him. Each Christmas, I worried, will this be the last, each birthday, New Years etc. all wasted worrying instead of just enjoying our time together - If I can give you one piece of advice its "don't borrow trouble because it will find you soon enough". Enjoy these precious good days and don't bring yourself down, I know its hard, but its harder regretting it later. Much Love, Sharon

Tina,

We all have funks...sometimes, we have deep ones.

I attend counseling every other week, whether I'm up OR down. I have found that if I "go with it" and "wallow" for a bit, it's easier to then ridicule myself for sitting on the pity pot and work on making a change. It's okay to sit on the pity pot, you just gotta remember to flush!

A little bit of self-pity (and I don't share that with my friends normally), some chocolate, some self-pampering and then back to business as usual...

Maybe it will help you to know you are not alone, and that not everyone is "all better" after a one-hour session with a therapist... (Hey, a one hour session at the spa....well, that's different...)

Good to hear that Mr. Tina is doing well. Could be the "Mom" thing, being in full alert when he is not doing so good and then the drop in the ready-set-go department when it's not needed - kinda like inverted PMS or something...

Take care, hope you are out of that funk soon! (It COULD also be weather related, it IS the icky time of year...cabin fever...)

Tie a knot in the end of your rope and hang on!

Becky

Tina,

I think we all get that way. It's almost scary to have good results because of the possible let down if they turn sour. I am learning to embrace the good news instead of doubting it. Attitude is a big factor in the healing process. Take a walk. With a dog if possible. If you don't have one borrow one from a friend! That always clears my head and makes me feel better. Good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you.

Rachel

Hi - Wow, I can't believe that I''m not the only one who felt bad when things were good!!! I actually thought that I was losing my mind and beginning to suffer from depression unrelated to Ron's illness. I was really strong and bubbly when he was at his worst and now when he's bubbly, lifting weights and "hooting" (that's the terminology for uncontrolled laughter in our neck of the woods) I'm sad. When we didn't expect to get any "good" news I was better able to handle things. Now, as you have all said, it's time to worry about that other shoe falling.

At least I think now that I may be somewhat "normal" since most of you have experienced very similar things going on.

I learn so much each time I tune in!!

Here's to reducing the funk!!

Janetg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tina,

I get those funks, too. When things are not going well I push myself to stay strong, keep the spirits high, and take care of everyone and everything. Then, when the crisis is over, I sort of collapse in a heap, exhausted from the earlier stress, and the funk comes. I wonder if it's just the exhaustion catching up with me. Usually I'll end up with a cold, too. Going with it and letting myself wallow for a bit helps me, and eventually things look up again.