Alimta infusion #2

Justakid

Went and had my 2nd infusion of Alimta today. Nothing to remark about, the Decadron along with my regular prednisone has me bouncing off the walls!

The doctor has bumped me back up to 40mg of prednisone because of my SOB, I asked if it was possible for someone's face to explode due to rapid weigh gain (13lbs in 13 days), he laughed at me and told me not to worry about it! He's not the one with FAT eyelids!

We decided that I would have 3 infusions then do a CT Scan to see what is going on, I'm also gonna ask for a PET Scan, see what he says!

That's about all the excitement!

hey you little justa.

that weight gain is nasty.. I don't know why it has to hit the face so bad! Takes all the wrinkles away though.

I am just wondering if it stretches stuff out permanently? We will see.

Unevetful for Justakid doesn't come any better than that! Can you have a beer while you are going through this? Uneventful requires celebration!

Keep up the good work. You know that you have a gazzillion prayers whispering your name each day!

You are very much loved.

Cindi o'h

Hi Beth,

So sorry for your steroid blow up. God knows I can relate! I sew for my sanity (or what little of it I've hung onto) & you should see the huge difference in sizes of the patterns I own. Half of the time I'm no where near done with the outfit before I've changed sizes. I've been off, on, off, on... so blasted many times, I can't keep up with it. I've run back & forth between size 12 & size 22 through this mess. If it weren't for the sewing though, I'd be totally nude! It hits my face the hardest but it really has hit me everywhere. When I'm on the things, I'm a ravenous beast! Well, I think me & all my chins are going to waddle into the kitchen for a refill!

Hugs & prayers,

Melanie

Beth,

The Prednisone got rid of my wrinkles, for four years,

now without it, the wrinkles are back with all the relatives,

but you have age for you, and the weight will go away

fast it is water retention mostly.

Prayers going for all your treatments.

Keep us posted.

J.C.

Hi Beth,

Glad to hear your doing so-so. My sister was taking 60mg of prednisone

daily. Her face was the same way. After she was weaned off them her

face pretty quickly went back to normal. Good luck and take care.

Love ya,

Mare

Fat eyelids!! :lol::lol: You crack me up, Beth!

I've said all along, better a few pounds UP than down. The point is to get to where we don't NEED tx and can lose the weight in some healthy fashion....huh?

I start up again on Monday with the Topotecan and Decadron/Zofran "Pre-Cocktail". I'm pretty lucky in that the steroids do little more than kind of wire me up....but I gotta tell ya, I'm so out of energy due to low RBCs these days, that I'm actually looking forward to the Decadron buzz! My get-up-and-go needs a goose!! :roll:

The best part of your post, is that it's not about some strange and severe reaction to your treatment!! Sounds like you're tolerating this well, which is terrific!

Hang in there kiddo...and keep us up to snuff on what's going on with you....okay? Hmmmm......I wonder if you blink your eyes rapidly, 50 times in a row, if that would be some sort of "eyelid sit-ups" and would help them lose weight? :wink::D

Hi Beth,

Glad you are doing well with the treatment, besides the fat eye lids. I have gotten so fat I have bought larger clothes and now I'm coming out of them. I can't blame it on any steroids.

It sounds like a good idea on the PET scan. I have one scheduled for next Wednesday. My CT showed some change two weeks ago, hoping its nothing, probally just radiation change.

Stay positive and FIGHT,FIGHT,FIGHT.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Beth,

Overall, it sounds like you are tolerating the Alimta pretty well. Keep it up. Steroids, well that's another story. Those things are a necessary evil for some folks. Mike is on 20 mg of prednisone, but on the days he takes the dexamethasone he doesn't take the prednisone. The dexamethasone turns him into a bear , as it is. He had treatment on Monday and he has the fluid gain creeping up on him a bit today too. He has his puffy face and FAT eyelids. :lol: Hang in there. You're sounding good to me.

Sue

Went and had my 2nd infusion of Alimta today. Nothing to remark about, the Decadron along with my regular prednisone has me bouncing off the walls!

The doctor has bumped me back up to 40mg of prednisone because of my SOB, I asked if it was possible for someone's face to explode due to rapid weigh gain (13lbs in 13 days), he laughed at me and told me not to worry about it! He's not the one with FAT eyelids!

We decided that I would have 3 infusions then do a CT Scan to see what is going on, I'm also gonna ask for a PET Scan, see what he says!

That's about all the excitement!

Can you share any details re: your continued need for prednisone / decadron ? I understand their role in lung cancer but considered these drugs to play more of a minor, supportive and temporary role in controlling secondary inflammation. In your case I get the impression that these steroids are playing a major role. Almost as if the steroid is the frontline drug in your case. I am also interested in this subject because my wife is currently being weened off of very high dose prednisone. I'm nervous about her ability to sustain her respiratory improvement as the prednisone is d/c'd.

Thanks much for any comments that you can share and good luck to you.