if knowledge is power, then I need some power here

shirleyb

I know I don't post like I use to but I really need some knowledge here. My mother has not been doing so well for a while now. She had some major surgery for an anysurm back in early Dec. She had lots of complications due to having COPD. Since that time she really has not gotten better. Just before she got out of the hospital they did the colon scope because she was bleeding from the colon. Well today I found out she has a large tumor going from the large to the small colon. They did a biopsy today. My question is this. What other tests can she have done that are not invasive. CT, CAT, MRI ??? Which is the better one to go with. They have not done any of those yet. I want to be able to come to the table with good suggestions to help her get the right treatment. Due to the state of her health I am concerned that it has already spread to other areas and I want to see what would be best for her. Quality of life or go for treatment. At this stage in her life I don't believe she could handle chemo or radiation. She is too weak physically to handle it.

Mr. Don Wood, I know you know alot about this. Got any suggestions? One other issue is this. She lives in Ohio and I am in Minnesota, so I am not there with her. My brother is doing all he can to be there for her, but I want to be able to give him questions to ask so we/she can make an informed decision as to what to do next. The tumor has to be removed we know because it almost blocking the colon already. Please share your knowledge with me so I can help her in her journey.

Thanks to all.

Shirleyb

Shirley I have been wondering about you a lot lately. I'm sorry to learn the reason for you absence. I can truly relate to your fears and frustration being so far away. When my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer I was 2400 miles away.

I don't know the answers to your questions. I will suggest that some of your questions would be similar to what you would ask about lung cancer sense you already know a lot about that.

You have and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Lillian

Shirley,

My Dad had colorectal cancer and he had a CT scan which showed a few suspicous nodules in his lungs prior to his surgery. He didn't take them too seriously as he had pnuemonia several times when younger. They went on with the surgery without further investigation...I'm not sure why. Finally after 6 weeks healing time they did a PET scan which lit up even more spots in his lungs. At this point they said that it was cancer for sure but still had to do a biopsy to find out if it was a new primary cancer or a met from colorectal cancer. I guess the PET scan would be the best test to determine if it has spread.

Hi Shirley, why don't you try ASK the EXPERTS. I am sre they could tell you the info you need to know about colon testing and checking for mets. You are in my prayers , it is so difficult to be so far away from your Mom at this time. Donna G

just an update.

Mom had a stroke Thursday night or Friday morning. They are not sure when it started. My brother found her unresponsive on Friday morning when he checked on her. Needless to say, she is in the hospital now. Other information we have since found out. When they did the colonoscopy, they punctured the colon which has caused her to be bleeding since Thursday afternoon. (Could be why she was so weak and unresponsive.) They also found the cancer has spread to her liver. She is in surgery right now as I am typing this to have the puncture repaired and the 7 inch tumor removed. We are now just praying that she is able to make it throught the surgery. I was able to talk to her this morning before they took her in so I am very thankful for that.It gave me one more time to tell her how much I love her. Atleast now she is able to talk again. You can't really understand her that well but I could tell what she was trying to say. Last night she could not move anything but her eyes. She could not swallow, move anything, talk, etc.

So if you have an extra prayer to spare, I would sure appreciate it.

I am hanging in there. I have faith that either God will be with us no matter what the outcome.

Praying for us all.

Shirleyb

Prayers going up for you:

Father-We thank you for your presence in our lives, thank You for sending Your Son to die and rise again from death so that we might believe and have life with You forever. Lord I ask that You be with Shirley's mom and her family right now. They are in need of Your calming hand on them. Lord I ask that if it be Your will then heal her her mom. We know it is always in Your hands and we trust in you for everything. We ask these things all in Your wonderful name-Amen