On to lung surgery!

KarHart

We are home now after Ken's liver resection. The surgeon was very pleased with the outcome even though he had to do the "big cut". He found at least 1 more tumor close to the original tumor that did not show up on scans. He checked with the camera all through the abdomen and said "there is no cancer in his belly" now. According to him he should be recovered enough for the lung surgery in about 4 weeks.

I know this is unusual to have 2 surgeries for NSCLC, but I think the reasoning is that he may have 2 primary cancers (lung & liver). The chemo was very effective against the lung tumor, but did not seem to do anything for the liver tumor (tumors). The tumor board made the decision to go after both with surgery, which frankly really surprised me. I was actively looking at cyberknife since I did not think they would go for surgery. My husband has always wanted surgery from the get-go, and I think the fact that we made it clear we wanted to be very aggresive may have had some bearing. Moffitt is a cancer research hospital so maybe they thought Ken was a good candidate for more unusual treatment. We are very grateful for the chance to possibly cut out all the cancer (painful as it is). I know this is a long shot, but it is a possibility.

We go on the 19th to see the lung surgeon (back to where we started at Moffitt). My guess is he will order a scan (as he did the first time we saw him). Hopefully, nothing new will show up this time and he will schedule the surgery (right upper lobe). I don't know if we are at stage 1a now or not, guess we will find out soon. It sure sounds a lot better than stage IV!

My dad had 2 separate cancer surgeries. It was 2 years between though and same thing, they felt that they were two primary cancers eventhough they were both squamous cell carcinoma. My dad was also in Vietnam and has a settlement with them regarding both cancers and agent orange in Vietnam. Prayers to all of you!

My dad had 2 separate cancer surgeries. It was 2 years between though and same thing, they felt that they were two primary cancers eventhough they were both squamous cell carcinoma. My dad was also in Vietnam and has a settlement with them regarding both cancers and agent orange in Vietnam. Prayers to all of you!