Day One of Treatment

Tracy

Just a quick update....

Dad had his first day of treatment today. He started off by having chemo early this morning and as soon as he finished that he was off to radiation. Handled it like a trooper, even though he was in discomfort during radiation having to keep his arms lifted. So far he says he feels normal, came home and had a big lunch of soup and crackers and snacked throughout the day, always drinking his water (not too happy about having to drink that much h2o!!), and had a good sized normal dinner of meat and potatoes ( us Irish folk love our potatoes!!!).

My sister and I (along with the baby) went over to check on our parents and both of their spirits were way up...I think starting treatment has done wonders for them both. Still no word on the brainscan though, hopefully wont have to wait much longer for that.

Tomorrow is day two of a three day/week chemo and five day/week radiation.

When I left I told my dad to sit back and relax and visualize the chemo and rad killing those dang cancer cells like an old "Batman" episode...Bam! Boom! Bang! Pow! etc...he laughed!!!

Hoping the days continue like this, but if they dont we are well stocked on popsicles, juice, jell-o....you name it we got it!

Tracy, way to go dad and keep up the positive thoughts. Visualization of killing cancer cells can be a very powerful thing, I went to a psychologist who specialized in cancer patients and used visualization every day. Tell your dad to drink, drink, drink and when he feels he cannot dring to drink somemore. From my experience he probably will not feel any of the side effects from the chemo for 3 or 4 days. Make sure he does not over do it and remember......any side effects are a symtom of the cure!!!!! Keep up the good work. My prayers are with you and your family.

David C

Tracy

I'm glad to hear your father's treatments are underway. Perhaps he has turned a corner in his willingness to "fight". I think one of the hardest parts for my Dad was waiting for treatment to begin. You know there's this awful thing in you that's growing and you want to be doing something about it. Yet, you have to wait until the doctors do what tests they deem necessary and then finally -- you're given the chemo/radiation and you can start "striking back" at the monster. So perhaps your Dad and Mom have their spirits up because they finally have the weapons to fight with. (Hope this makes sense; sometimes I don't express myself as well as others on this board)

Anyhow, Tracy, thinking of you and hope you're Dad keeps up his spirits.

Gail

Good news and a great attitude. I believe a positive attitude is important and that it makes a difference! Beginning chemo is a good thing though I think people who haven't been through it don't understand it. My husband, once we got the diagnosis was quite anxious to "have at it". Waiting for it to start was the worst.

Hope all continues to go well.

With chemo, the bad feelings usually kick in in three or four days after the treatment, so be prepared. It vaires with the person. Also, radiation usually takes about a week before the tiredness manifests. Since your dad is taking both together, be sure he is getting enough liquids to prevent dehydration, and even ask the onc if a weekly IV might be useful. Blessings. Don

It's about time!! D.a.m.n. healthcare system.

But better late than never. Candy's right, your dad has the right attitude, and listen to David C and make sure your dad doesn't over do it in these early stages - he'll need his energy - for drinking all that water!! Tracy, I LOVE the Batman scenario - BIFF, BAM, POW, but you have to have the music to go with it. All together now, da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da...da,da,da,da,da,da,da,da...BATMAN!!

I'm glad your Dad is feeling better now that he is actively fighting the cancer.

I wanted to mention something to you that you may want to check into. I was told that during radiation treatments and during certain nuclear scans like PET and NEOTECT, we are "radioactive" and emitting radiation for a period of time, and that we should limit our exposure to small children (infants and up to about age 6). Young children should not be exposed to radioactivity unless it is absolute necessary. Check with your local Nuclear Med facility or the Radiation Oncology department to find out what the policy is on exposure of young children to those who are undergoing active radiation therapy, or who have hd nuclear scans.

Best Wishes,

Fay A