Newbie With Lots of Questions

enod20

Hi everyone--my Mom is 65 and was a heavy smoker for many years. She finally quit smoking and 6 years later was diagnosed with lung cancer. She had a pneumonectomy (rt lung) almost 4 years ago. About a month ago she had a PET scan which showed activity in her back and thyroid and lt lung (nodules on lt lung and thyroid). She had a very bad experience with the pulmonologist-she said he was rude to her and ignored her questions/opinions. She was given a referral to an oncologist that she doesn't like and she's waiting for a different referral for another oncologist (Kaiser-HMO-so her options are limited).

My questions are regarding--what can I expect in terms of what docs may say, how she might react, etc. This round is so different than before when she just had a relatively simple surgery. Where should I post my questions on this website? I just don't know what to do. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Wish I had an answer for you. Since your mom has Kaiser, she must be here in California. What about a second opinion? Iwould have her look into going to a facility out of the Kaiser network. She is entitled to another opinion. If I can help, just let me know.

May I ask. What city or county is your mom located? I am in Riverside County. There are quite a few people from California who post here on this board. We would like to help if we can... Let us know and keep us posted, we're here for you...

Prayers, Karen

Hi everyone--my Mom is 65 and was a heavy smoker for many years. She finally quit smoking and 6 years later was diagnosed with lung cancer.

My questions are regarding--what can I expect in terms of what docs may say, how she might react, etc. This round is so different than before when she just had a relatively simple surgery. Where should I post my questions on this website? I just don't know what to do. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

As for the issue that she smoked or didn't, at this point and here at LCSC it really doesn't matter if she smoked or not. She has LC and that's what we are here to help you and her with. We have members here that never smoked, so it's not just a smokers disease.

As for what will the doc's say or do? Only they can answer that one. It would be impossible for us to give you a call on that being we have just little info.

When you get all the ins and outs of what her dx.s is, check back with us, and we'll see if we can give you a bit more help then we can at this time.

I'm sure she will not be treated as she was in the past. I'm sure the doc's will offer other things. But, it all depends on a LOT of stuff. I couldn't give you an answer to HOW she will react because I don't know what kinds of treatments she is getting.

As to where to post your questions, you can post them in the Caregivers, or the NSCLC Forum, OR does she have Small Cell? Or in the General Forum. Sometimes when a cancer comes back it CAN come back as a different cancer. So, do you know the kind of cancer she has?

And, I would suggest you try real hard to take a deep breath and start taking baby steps, rather then taking the giant ones your doing now and lets see if we can walk you through this with ease. :wink:

I honestly understand your fear, and we will do ALL we can to lend a hand. So, lets see if you can maybe help us to help you.

1. What kind of cancer is it?

2. Are they talking Chemo or Radiation?

3. Has she ever had chemo or radiation?

Lets just start with those few questions and we'll go from there. OKAY?

Hang in there with us, we'll help you along.

Sorry to hear about your mom. My advise, take one day at a time. Everyone is different - every diagnosis is different. We could try to answer your questions but it would be just generalized guessing (sometimes is worse advise than non at all).

Please know that there is hope for all stages of LC. There are many survivors on this board to prove it.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Wendy

Yea, Id post specific questions to the "ask the experts" forum...of course, they need to know the specifics and diagnosis info,etc...

For general questions, post in "general", or the specific type of LC she has forum.

The more specific info u can give, will get the more specific answers, of course.

Welcome...and feel free to ask away. Rich B.