Has anyone else had this problem

elkiesmom

Since Gary was diag I have lost 7 lbs just before his diag I had started gaining some weight that I had lost from moving to FL. Last year. If anyone has what did you do to gain weight. I am just not hungry but nerves have always done this to me.I just can't force food down and ensure gives me diarrhea.

Lorrie

heh, I've never had a problem gaining weight.

are you worried about the weight or do you feel undernourished? I'd say it's two different concerns. I guess find one or two things you can always eat, and allow yourself more of them. peanut butter and jelly always works for me.

I can also tell you that my anxiety symptoms around my mom's diagnosis have definately begun to ease up. I also realized I was no good to her when I was depleted, so now I take of myself as a way of caring for her...if that makes any sense.

xoxo

bunny

I was always told that keeping your weight was very important to your health during treatment and afterwards. I understand totally where you are coming from. I could not eat and ended up losing quite a bit of weight. Keep a close eye on it and don't lose to much. Upon my own decision, I got a feeding tube during treatment. It was a very painless procedure getting it put in but not coming out. It saved my life. I ended up keeping the tube in for about three months. This may not be the situation you are in. Also, there is a medication that you can take that will increase your appetite. Your oncologist should be familiar with it.

Hope this helps!

I went from a size 12 to a size 3. Fortunately and unfortunately, I'm back in a size 10.

Living life,

Jamie

Hi Jamie.

I am only the caregiver Gary my husband has or I should say had the Cancer. He has kept his weight stable but before all this happened I had put him on a diet and he lost 75 lbs. Now I am making sure he doesn't lose any more weight and he is loving that. I know Chemo will do a number on his weight and I want him strong and healthy before he starts.

Lorrie

Thanks Bunny

I am worried about my weight only becaise my Doctor is. I am healthy though so far. I am not a nervous eater that is what Gary is if I am upset I can't eat though that peanut butter sounds great.That was one thing on my list to keep in the house to give to Gary when he starts CHEMO.

Lorrie

Lorrie,

Double Stuf Oreos have 70 calories PER COOKIE! They kept my weight up while I was going through treatment, unfortunately, I got in the "cookie habit" and have had a bit of a problem getting rid of that nice round cookie shape!

If your doctor is concerned, maybe s/he can suggest a diet plan to help you GAIN weight in a healthy manner, not just eating "bad food".

...and hey, if you can find someone to perform the actual operation, I'm all for donating some fat to a worthy cause...

Take care,

Becky

Lorrie,

I went through the same thing when my husband was dignosed in Jan 2005. I lost about 15 pounds and it got to the point Alan's oncologist was just as worried about me. I will say once we got over our intitial shock and established a routine again I was able to eat and have put my weight back on. As a care giver it is just as important to take of yourself. I make sure to get a good massage every 2 weeks and have joined a couple of support groups which has really been a big help. good luck to your and your husband and I will pray for the both of you.

Debbie

Husband Alan Dx with Limited Small Cell 1-10-05

I seem to do the same thing, which is odd because I am a stress eater. Generally a bad day sends me straight to Braum's for some ice cream (Their commercials go so far as to say, "Braum's makes everything better..."). My friends noted last year that I seemed to be on the 'stress diet'--similiar symptoms--nothing sounded good to me and I would forget to eat.

I agree with Bunny, and have learned the same lesson, in that we have to take care of ourselves or we are no good to them. Now I make sure that I eat at every meal time, and still snack, to make sure I keep the strength up.

I should go back to the Germany diet--3 weeks there this summer of beer and bread, and I had to buy new pants to fly home in. Ah, but it was worth it!

:) , Kelly