Tim - Brain Mets

Tim'sKathy

I have been reading up on brain mets..Tim has been waking up with headaches- not bad ones and tylenol seems to take care of them, but he is also still having trouble with his balance (also when he first wakes up- whic he is blaming on the numbness in his feet from the chemo) and is having muscle spasms in his legs at night....one of the articles I read said that the headaches are most common upon waking....

I am calling the onc tomorrow to get him in to see her. He has been so fatigued..all he did today was sleep...so I don't want to take any chances.

Who has dealt with this and what were the symptoms?

Thanks..

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

We've talked about this before, but I wanted to touch base with you again since you asked. Hugh's symptoms were very much like sinus for the first couple of days. Small headache, watery eye, stuffy nose and a numbness under his cheek. Sinus meds seemed to take care of the headache but not the rest of the symptoms. Over the course of just a few days the entire left side of his head became numb. I understand from the radiologist that the symptoms differ depending on where the met is located. I don't know about you, but I always have this inner battle going on. I always call the doctor but I always DON'T WANT to call him because if I don't know it, its not happening. It certainly does wear on you.

Kathy, it is good that you have this checked out. When my dad showed signs of brain mets his hand/eye coordination was all off, I gues you could also say that he had trouble with depth perception (ie: he would bump into things because he thought they were farther away than they were). He didn't have headaches, so Dad thought he was in the clear. I mean, how could you have brain tumors and no headache? But the onc. told us that headaches are usually not part of the symptoms of brain mets.

The best thing is to observe ones behavior and then report any unusual things to the dr's, which you are right on top of. Let us know how things go, and if I could be of any help, I'm here. Take care, deb

IM GOING THROUGH IT NOW. BUT ALL I HAD WAS SOME HEADACHS IN THE MORNING AND SOMETIMES DURING THE DAY. GET YOUR DOC TO ORDER A MRI NOW. BUT DONT WORRY JUST HAD 3RD TREATMENT OUT OF 13 AND ITS A PEACE OF CAKE. NO SIDE EFFECT AT ALL FOR ME. TREATMENT TAKES 1 MINUTE. TAKES ME LONGER TO GO FROM THE PARKING LOT TO THE TABLE.

DONT WAIT DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

Kathy,

Brain mets are not all the same. It is where the met or mets are as to what they can do to your body...Mets on the right of the brain, affect the left side and vice verse..none of us can answer your question. You are better off having him tested....don't wait....