Joe

My name is Joe and I just found this site.

My dad has had a tough year. He entered the hospital in January because he couldn't swallow. While enduring the multiple tests, he suffered a seizure due to a lack of oxygen. He had to have a trache tube put in and placed on a ventilator. He stayed in the hospital until mid February when he was transferred to a rehab center. The day after arriving, he was placed back in the ICU due to breathing trouble. The next day, he suddenly coded and had to be shocked 3 times. It was later determined that his intestines burst putting him into septic shock. He had to have emergency surgery which he wasn't expected to live through. His intestine were repaired and a colostomy inserted. Somehow, he survived (he has always been a fighter). He spent the next 1.5 months in rehab and finally went home at the beginning of April.

On June 5th, he suffered a small stroke and was put on blood thinners. Two weeks later, he developed blood clots in his legs and right lung. He was admitted to the ICU once again. While there, the doctors noticed a growth under the skin on the right side of his neck. They did a biopsy which showed the growth to be a large cancerous lymph node. Further tests showed that the primary cancer started in his left lung and spread to 2-3 lymph nodes. He was diagnosed with NSCLC Stage III. He has had one chemo treatment so far but his second has been delayed to a low grade fever. He was out of the hospital a few days after his first chemo treatment but had to go back because he was having extreme pain in his right leg due to a blood clot. He is still there waiting for the all-clear to get his 2nd chemo treatment (which should have been on 08/01).

I know what he has is very serious and the hospital has made it quite clear that all they can do for him is pallitive care. I disagree completely! I've read so many stories of people who beat this type and stage of cancer or worse. I think he can beat this and he does too. I just hope that all of the "pallitive care" talk isn't discouraging him.

I've been depressed and scared since his diagnosis. The whole family thought his fight to survive was over in April. I pray each day for good news. I hope it comes soon.

If anyone wants to e-mail me, I'm at: jtac75@earthlink.net

Hey Joe.

If your dad thinks he can beat this, then look out man -- cause he can!!

That's exactly how I thought 26 years ago when they all thought I was a gonner. I distinctly remember thinking, "Well, I'll show you." And I did.

Your dad's already gone throuhg more than the average person goes through in a lifetime, so every thing else is just gravy, as they say. Your dad has what we need to figure out how to package and ship out to the disheartened people whose stupid doctors can't think of anything else to say. He's got the attitude I've learned to live with all these years - it's the only attitude out there for anyone who is dealing with cancer who wants to be around a while longer. I'd like to talk to him. Can you get him on line? Take care Joe,

David P.

Get a new oncologist; a new hospital, in a new city, if you can. Find a university-affiliated medical center, preferably one with a National Cancer Institute affiliation. Ask about surgery; maybe after chemo, he'll be stronger and able to undergo surgery. Read all you can, ask questions, insist on answers. You and your Dad can do it! Good luck! - Teresa

Hi, Joe! Welcome to this site. So sorry your dad had to go through all that, but it is clear he is a fighter and a winner, and he can beat the lung cancer, too. Don't settle for anything less, and find out how this can be done. Get medical staff that will help him get better. Best to you. Keep posting. Don

I am sorry to hear how much your Dad has had to go through this year. I hope you do get a second opinion. Back in January when all started, did they do a CT of the chest , you said he was having a lot of tests, could not swollow , then had a seizure due to lack of O2. If he had a CT of the chest did a tumor show up then ? It sounded as if all was snowballing down hill after that with the bowels etc. Problems with blood clots has happened to others also who have a tumor. Please keep us posted. Donna

Hey Joe, welcome, glad you found us :) ; Your dad has certainly been through the ringer this year :shock: Sounds like a real fighter to me. Get yourself some 2nd opinion's, third's if you have to. Don't settle for pallitive care talk, tell em you met a whole bunch of SURVIVORS who plan on living and your dad does too.

God bless you and your dad; he will be in my prayers

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

My heart goes out to you and your family, especially your dad. He has been through more then one should be. I pray that he comes through this like he has done in the past.

You to have been through a lot so take a deep breath, and hang in there. It will take all the strength you have but you will survive and hopefully your father too...for he is one he/// of a fighter....

Hello Joe,

The others have given you good advice based upon what we currently know. Just want to welcome you and encourage you to keep the positive attitude going and to stay on top of things. Your dad is lucky to have you in his corner...keep punchin'!

Thank you all for a heartfelt welcome. It's very nice to find a place where everyone knows how I feel.

Dad finally got his 2nd chemo treatment today. He was actually excited when they told him they could move forward with the treatment. It isn't often someone is excited about chemo but he wants to fight.

I'll keep everyone updated and you do the same on your end. Again, thank you for the support.

Guest Cheryl Schaefer

Please get a second opinion. At Stage III, treatment is an option. My husband was rediagnosed from MD Anderson, the best cancer center in the US. They retested him and restaged him from a Stage IV to a Stage IIIA. He is doing two rounds of chemo and returning in September for surgery. Even before he was restaged, they wanted to treat him with surgery. Don't settle for one opinion.

Best, Cheryl