more information on post thoracic pain

Tami

hi-I'd like to get some more information on post thoracic pain. I have a pneumonectomy on 4/02 removed left lung. I was back to work full time within 10 days of my surgery. I'm a single mom of 3 and have done all the snow shoveling, mowing and moving of furniture etc. I had pain but I "got over it" My cancer has been a strange and scary expereince. Originally diagnosised with Adeno but it was confined to one lymph node on the bronchical tube. Due to location had thoracic surgery to get biopsy, no firm diagnosis but thought to be malignant adeno so had chemo, then had another thoracic surgery to remove tumor was told it was inoperable so they sent me for additional chemo/rads. After all that including about a million ct scans, pet scans etc. I was finally allowed to go to Fox Chase. Had surgery there in 4/02 that surgeon was able to remove my "inoperable tumor" but I had to lose my left lung because of the radiation damage. Entire tumor was removed nothing found in lung, or anywhere else. I was told I had a mucoepidermoid tumor not adneo. Very low malignancy-could be considered benign and it was not lung cancer just a tumor. Great news!! The surgeon there recommended a ct scan at 6 months, an x-ray at 1 yr and then x-rays every 2 years. He told me they don't normally ever come back. This is the head of thoracic surgery at a major cancer center--I want to believe him. I had my chest x-rays this past April and they showed a broken rib. My surgeon at fox chase told me this can happen as my ribs were strtched and broken 3 times in the course of a year. So they are fragile and I do carry heavy things and work very hard. but the area still hurts. Sometimes in my shoulder right now it's just at the top of the left breast. I can feel my heart beat very stong in that area and the last time my family doctor looked at the area she said that the muscle etc has been removed from that area and the heart is kinda just hanging in there-so not much to hold things together. I'm in the process of moving so my kids (16, 11, 10) and I are carrying things and moving furniture but I'm terrified I have bone mets or a new tumor or something. I keep pushing on the area trying to find a lump or something and now my skin is so sore to the touch. Does anyone else have lingering pain or pain when you work that area a lot? I'd really appreciate any ones experience with lingering pain.

Tami,

My husband goes to Fox Chase. His thoracic surgeon is Melvyn Goldberg, who is yours.

Thank God, my husband has had no pain from his surgery except the healing pain and a little bit now and then that feels like stretching.

We love the care and treatment at Fox Chase.

Hi Tami, I had the surgery in June of 2001 and I still have pain under my right breast, the rib area and sometimes behind my breast. It is irritating and my oncologist said that it may stay that way. It's not happening all the time, but when I lift heavy items or do painting or house cleaning it acts up. Sometimes when the weather is damp it is more sore. Hope it helps some, but if you are concerned have a chat with your doctor.

Hello Tami; I had my left lung removed on May 2nd, 2001. The family pic is 8 weeks after surgury in the rainforests of Costa Rica and I thought I was doing good! I can't even imagine going back to work 10 days after surgury. :shock: God bless you and the kids!! :D

To your question; I also have the same kind of pain, usually when I'm straining and active. Like you, I was very concerned and back in May they did bone scans and found no cancer but some arthritis. I was also told that I had alot of scar tissue and things were settling. I think other organs just kind of shift a bit. :? Obvious, I'm no doctor. :shock: Anyway, I was taking 4 to 6 advil a day for it, not all the time but still alot. The doc. gave me a 6 month script for Vioxx, (50mg). I take one a day and they work great. There an anti-inflamatory drug so I'm told.

Hope this helps and I would certainly discuss this with your doc.

God bless be well and you are a trooper :lol::lol:

Bobmc- NSCLC-stage IIB left pneumonectomy 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Tami, nice to hear from you again. I,m glad you're doing well. It's Two years since my surgery and I still have pain on my left side. Usually after work of some kind. My ribs have been bothering me a lot lately and I always wonder if it's mets. I think some permanent pain is just a fact of life with most major surgery. I really don't mind the pain, it's the worry of mets that bothers me.

Hi Tami-

I had my lobectomy 2/02 and I still have exquisite, zinging pain constantly under my right breast. Onc had a bone scan done and no mets showed up; she prescribed Neurontin, but I didn't really see much improvement so I quit taking it. I had to get rid of all my underwire bras and now wear ones that look like my grandmother's :roll: . I haven't noticed that mine gets any better or worse with more strenuous work. I'm very interested in seeing what happens with Judy B's new regimen for Thoracic Pain Syndrome (TPS).

I totally relate to your constant worry about mets, but your FC doc sounds really wonderful and I like his prognosis for you...try to GO with it! (easier said than done, I know :? )

Hi I am three years post-lobectomy- and the numbing by my breast is now gone ---but it did take about 2 1/2 years---I was lucky, never really had pain---just itching by my scar

regards Eileen

nsclc

upper right lobectomy 6/00---stage 1A

no chemo or read

Tami, I'm sorry that I can't help you with any info. on post thoracic surgery.. I was actually just wondering if you were the same Tami that used to post on the orig. message board, because I've been wondering how you've been doing-if it is you. Either way, I hope that all is well and welcome to the boards.

If you look under the 'good news' forum, there is a post by JudyB the post is called "good news but mixed reviews" and it is all about her having terrible post thoracic pain, and she went to a pain clinic and they've come up with a game plan of meds that, in time, should do the trick. You might want to check it out. Take care, Tami, glad to see you here. Deb