English Paper, want your help and input

jodi page

Hello All,

I am writing an English paper on surviving cancer and/or an illness. I would love to know how life has changed for you after treatment. How you have won your life back from cancer and what you want people to know. What kept you going through treatment and what keeps you going now. How much has your life changed and in what ways. Anything you wish to share would be welcome. THANK YOU

On a side note, Wednesday February 22nd is my sixth year mark. Who would have guessed I'd live this long? :)

Jodi, I was just talking about you! On the 16th we had a new member ( northstar) post about her husband being diagnosed with Mesothelioma. I metntioned you. Here you are! 6 years! Wonderful news.

See "My Story". THe Cancer experience was a huge teacher, a very tough class, but I really learned a lot about cancer, about suffering, about depression, about stress, about enjoying every moment, appreciating what I do have, about the power of prayer, about the power of love, about the power of friendship, family, and much more. It was a huge class and I just hope I got a lot of it down and I passed.

Donna G

Hi Jodi,

As a fellow meso patient it’s wonderful to hear from another who is doing so well and beating the odds. Congratulations on 6 years and may there be many, many more.

I’ve been dealing with meso on and off for over a decade. It’s a bizarre experience and at times overwhelming but most of the time it’s a royal pain. I’m the type of person who really hates getting thrown off track by any type of illness so something as life altering as cancer is particularly infuriating.

I have tremendous faith in God and I’m blessed with an incredible husband who also shares my faith. Without the good Lord neither one of us could have gotten through this. I have also been blessed with being spared most of the treatments that any cancer patient faces. I only received radiation for 5 wks. last summer and those were the toughest 5 wks. of my life (the combo of rad, steroids and pain killers, that didn’t agree with me, were mostly to blame). There were days I prayed for God to call me home but He obviously had other plans and I am very grateful for that.

The radiation eventually took away all the pain in my chest and I was able to wean off the other drugs and get my life back. There were times I really questioned the decision to do radiation but in the end my doctors guided me well and I’m so thankful to have such wonderful, caring physicians in my life. Their expertise and kind assurances were also a big part of my getting through this.

Once I got through the treatment and the radiation fatigue finally wore off, all I wanted to do was get my normal, “boring” life back. In my 20s and 30s I was restless and wanted more excitement, adventure, fun. Now I’m just so happy for the simple, little things in life. Something as easy as reading a book was impossible for me most of last year because of the narcotics making me so dizzy. It was incredibly depressing and frustrating. Now that I’m better I can’t STOP reading. :D

While my last scan had good and bad news what keeps me going these days is my faith, my desire to be here and a “boy am I BORED with dealing with cancer” attitude. I am also thankful each and EVERY day that I feel good and am not bedridden in pain. Even if there are aches and pains it is nothing compared to what I went through last summer and I never want to get complacent about it.

Take care. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. May you have continued good health and God Bless.

Sincerely,

Antoinette