When Morphine and Dilaudid Won't Do....

Fay A.

Not everyone can safely take Morphine or Dilaudid. I'm one of them. It causes non stop vommitting to the point of dry heaves and spasms that last for hours on end.

You need to work with your Docs to find combinations of drugs that will work with the various symptoms of pain and air starvation, etc., without causing so much stomach upset. They just have to make the time to get it right. And sometimes we have to push to get that to happen.

Oh Fay, I wish you could get a break... :cry::cry: I feel for you - morphine does the same to me. It also depresses my respiration. I am SO sorry you are having to deal with this, and do pray with all my heart that your dr.s will be able to find a combination to keep you comfortable.

I love that you are still calling the shots with your dr.s and advocating/encouraging us to do the same. You have taught me that we MUST advocate for ourselves, and arm ourselves with knowledge. You have taught me to confront my doctors when the info doesn't jive, and to approach them without fear - but instead with intelligence, and calm determination. I thank you so much for those gifts! And still, you continue to teach us...amazing lady!

Prayers for you, and your family, sweet Fay. May God give you comfort, and guide your dr.s to effectively deal with your pain.

Love You!

Stacey

Fay, I'm so sorry you have to deal with rx allergies in addition to the other problems. Not fair!

Sometimes things change, though. My mom was very sensitive to all morphine-related meds for years (I remember one memorable encounter with a prescription cough medicine which was supposed to be ok for someone with morphine allergies :shock: ). She took percocet on an as-needed basis every day after her diagnosis, and liquid morphine at the end with no problems.

I sincerely hope you have someone very knowledgeable and empathetic who is helping with your medications. You're such a wealth of information for us all - you deserve a real superhero to help you now.

Toward Brian's last hours ADVIL is the only thing that even touched his pain.

When he could no longer swallow is when we lost control of his pain. We had to go to liquid meds and I could not get enough ADVIL in him to ease his pain.

I still wake up in a cold sweat knowing I could not stop his pain.

I hate that.

I love you, Fay.

Keep telling them/us what you need.

Pat

Toward Brian's last hours ADVIL is the only thing that even touched his pain.

When he could no longer swallow is when we lost control of his pain. We had to go to liquid meds and I could not get enough ADVIL in him to ease his pain.

I still wake up in a cold sweat knowing I could not stop his pain.

I hate that.

I love you, Fay.

Keep telling them/us what you need.

Pat

Fay, have you tried the patch (fen something - can't remember the name)? It worked well for my mother when she started having trouble swallowing - kept ahead of discomfort. Also, it didn't cause drowsiness.

So many times, it seems your medical support has not been there for you. I pray you have someone truly gifted to help you now.

Darn Fay, they better find something that will help you through your pain. This is so frustrating, I hate what you are going through with the stomach problems caused by the meds.

Praying that something works for you ASAP.

Maryanne