breatheDEEP goes global.... Epilogue.

mike_s

Epilogue.....

The last couple of days were spent hanging out in Chiang Mai and just travelling around local markets and such. Nothing really noteworthy. I wanted to wind down a bit, because I knew I was walking into a software development firestorm when I got home.

A word of caution to travellers: If you do not have a VISA logo on your ATM card, IT WILL NOT WORK IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. A few years ago many banks started using the VISA/Cirrus/etc system to process transactions. I did not like this, as it allows anyone who obtains your ATM card to empty your checking account without a PIN. When this first started banks were kind of nasty about returning your cash, because ATM card loss is not protected by law the way credit card loss is. I have always insisted that my bank send me a real ATM card without the VISA logo, so a PIN is required.

This led to a rather nasty scene in Chiang Mai where, not understanding the problem, I went to three different ATMS trying to take money out of my account. You really, really do not ever want to run out of money in Asia. I finally walked into a bank, handed them my VISA and had them give me a bunch of cash. Problem solved, but I now have a new ATM card on the way, WITH a visa logo. I just did some research, and banks are much better now than they used to be, and in general treat ATM card loss the same way they treat credit card loss, even though it is not required by law.

This was an amazing trip. I found out that I still love Asia as much as I ever did, and exploring different areas is more fun than I remember. I hope you enjoyed the photos and reports of the trip. I will be going back to Asia next year, and will have to spend some time thinking about where to go. Thailand is wonderful, and I may go back there. I barely scratched the surface of the cool places to go. Mainland China is supposed to be very nice, in particular there are some places where the government allows you to actually sleep inside sections of the Great Wall. The nightlife in Shanghai is supposed to be spectacular. There is always the Phillipines, which I enjoyed very much and would like to see again...

Regards from me and NED, writing software in Vancouver, WA

mike_s

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

I 2nd what RY said. I will miss the pictures and the stories you have shared with us. Thank you very much. If you get married too, sorry can't remember her name, please forgive me :oops: . I hope you will share those pictures with us also. Hope all is going well in WA. Stay NED and healthy, please keep us posted...

Karen

Mike,

I 2nd what RY said. I will miss the pictures and the stories you have shared with us. Thank you very much. If you get married to, sorry can't remember her neme, please forgive me :oops: . I hope you will share those pictures also. Hope all is going well in WA. Stay NED and healthy, please keep us posted...

Karen

All is well here. I took down the photos of my trip, because it is kind of inappropriate for me to publish photos of old girlfriends when I am going to be a married man again! I will build a nice little site (not including Pan) of some of my favorite pictures of Thailand when I have time.

My elder daughter and I built a website for my favorite Thai restaurant, and that is the only link that remains at www.jaggedweb.com . My fiance used to cook at a Thai restaurant in Bangkok, and will probably go to work for this place until we start her a business.

Thank you all for your encouragement, and I hope you enjoyed the photos.

May NED and good reports be with you all,

Regards,

mike_s

PS - My fiance's name is Naphalai

Mike and Napalai

WooooHooooo,

Napalai said YES, How exciting, do you have a date yet. Let her know, we welcome her with open arms and hugs. Look forward to more pictures of you both... :)

I know she will take good care of you. I wish you and your new bride all the best...

Karen

Thank you all for the congrats!

I changed my avatar to show a pic of Napha and I on the night we met. Without a little language problem she would have travelled with me to Chiang Mai. She is practicing English every night(after working a 16 hr shift) and I am practicing Thai every night. The language will not get in our way again! We get to talk every weekend for four to six hours on webcam and voice. I am teaching her English on the web.

Napha spends all of her money buying property in Thailand, for her future. She is quite a little businesslady. She makes about $500 USD per month and with that she has been able to purchase two pieces of property in Thailand. One five acre parcel she has rented to a farmer, and the other waits for her to save enough to build a business on. Could you imagine doing that on $500/month? I am very impressed.

Naphalai used to teach Thai Massage at the most famous school of Thai massage in Thailand, Wat Po.

It is very lucky that her best girlfriend owns an internet cafe. To pay her girfriend for internet access to talk to me, she gives her a foot massage every time we talk.

Since 9/11 immigration rules have been tightened significantly. Immigration is also understaffed. It will take me four to eight months to bring her here. :( I have already started the paperwork. Please pray for NED to stay with me till she arrives.

She knows all about me being sick, and that it might come back. She knows all about my girlfriend Pan. She does not care. She is a Buddhist, and they have a little different take on life and death, than the average American.

I feel very, very lucky.

Regards,

mike_s

One kind of interesting side note about Naphalai(God I love that name).

I am a Senior Software Engineer in a hi-tech startup company. I took a about a 30% pay cut to go to work for my current employer, because they offered me a percentage of the company, but I still make a fair amount of money. Naphalai does not have to work if she does not want to.

Naphalai is a very funny gal! I told her that I made enough money that she did not have to work, and she looked at me like I was crazy. "Everyone must work... what will I do? Sit around the house and watch television? I take care very good care of you AND I work very hard and we save money for when we are old!" I think that attitude comes from no Social Security system.

Gotta love that asian work ethic....I think I really love this gal! She is every bit as entreprenuerial as I am, and if NED stays with me, Vancouver Washington better look out!

Regards,

mike_s

Mike,

I am really happy for you and Napalai. What does her name mean, it almost sounds Hawaiian. How do you feel about her not working, it should be a mutual decision. My neighbor is from South Korea, her and Frank met in Guam over 20 years ago. Mena, has never worked either. Frank is in construction and makes good wages. Thay have two grown boys now.

Please keep us posted. Sending you congrats and best wishes...

Karen

I am not certain what the name Naphalai means.

I am fine with her working, so long as it does not involve more than 30 or 40 hrs a week. Working more than that is fine, but it needs to be something we do together; I am not bringing her here to never see her.

We will probably start some kind of small business for her. She has an intructor certificate from the most famous Thai Massage school in Thailand, so teaching Thai Massage would be a natural.

We will figure something out; the important part is to be together.

Regards,

mike_s

Mike,

I'm very happy for you!

I remember about a year ago when we had lunch, you weren't so positive about your future. Now look at you :D:D

It's wonderful to see you so positive and happy, I just know you're going to make it.

By the way, she's a real cutie, I wish you nothing but happiness and a LONG life.

Your friend

Kathy

Mike,

I'm very happy for you!

I remember about a year ago when we had lunch, you weren't so positive about your future. Now look at you :D:D

It's wonderful to see you so positive and happy, I just know you're going to make it.

By the way, she's a real cutie, I wish you nothing but happiness and a LONG life.

Your friend

Kathy

Thank you. A bunch of clear scans in a row can really change your attitude. :-)

Regards,

mike_s

PS - Hope I am not getting overconfident, but I am NOT going to live my life 3 months at a time.

Mike o Mike, how I love love stories coupled with NED. Can I invite myself to the wedding? :lol:

We did enjoy all your photos in your Asia Trip.

Very proud of you for finding your soul mate while you are running around having an affair with NED. I pray that NED stays forever. God Bless you both.

Love,

Thomas & Malou

Mike o Mike, how I love love stories coupled with NED. Can I invite myself to the wedding? :lol:

Sure! Want to come to Thailand next year? I am not religious, but Naphalai is a Buddhist, and wants a Buddhist ceremony at her family's home. She just doesn't care when. Once she gets here, she cannot leave until she has a green card, so it will take a while.

We did enjoy all your photos in your Asia Trip.

Very proud of you for finding your soul mate while you are running around having an affair with NED. I pray that NED stays forever. God Bless you both.

Love,

Thomas & Malou

Noone is more suprised than I am. I have been bad-talking marriage since my fiance dumped me at the end of six-weeks of chemo. That kind of behavior gives you a somewhat clouded view of the institution.

Regards,

mike_s

Sometimes things happen for a reason-there may be better things in store for you. In your case that seems to be Naphalai. You look so happy, both of you. Enjoy your health and your Blessings.

Well, well, well Mike, your exciting vacation certainly ended on an extremely high note!!

Congrats to you and Naphalai, she is so pretty and a very lucky lady to land you. :D

I loved your pictures, it gave me something to look at during my insomnia nights.

When is the big day?

I am really very happy for you both.

Maryanne :wink:

Well, well, well Mike, your exciting

When is the big day?

Maryanne :wink:

We have not set a date yet, other than approximately 30 days after she enters the country.

The US Govt. moves VERY slowly, and it will take 4 to 8 months to get here here.

Regards,

mike_s

PS - Thanks to all for the good wishes!!