I wish I could have a cigarette...

Sheri

Those are the words my Dad said tonight. He quit upon diagnosis; but after a year and a half he still thinks of smoking. What a strong addiction it is. I love him to death and I know he will stay strong. He wants to live and I know he won't compromise his life and smoke again.

How are others coping with not smoking? Does it get easier, two or three years out? I understand this is not a smoking cessation site, but there must be former smokers here that can offer support.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2 years and 51 weeks since wifes diagnosis and threw ou all that we had. No craving or desire and can not stand the smell or thesight. I get mistyeyed when I see someone smoking and just want to shake them and tell them what will probably happen.

Sheri,

Mike smoked all his life and quit just before he was diagnosed with cancer. He had thoughts of smoking , but never wanted to go back. I smoked for 38 years and quit 3 years ago with the education and assistance of a wonderful site.. whyquit.com . It's a cold turkey smoking cessation site and support group . You can find answers to your questions there. Smoking is an addiction and quitting isn't always easy , but it is possible. After 3 days of quitting, all nicotine has left the body , but the thoughts of smoking linger on.

I am like Randy, when I see someone smoking, I want to cry . Knowing how much it increases their risk of having lung cancer truly breaks my heart.

Sue

It's been nearly three years for me, and I still think about it and have cravings, but not that often anymore.

I just keep telling myself that, knowing my body makes tumors, and knowing that I want to live, I just can't take that chance anymore.

It's an addictive activity, and the physical withdrawl is over much more quickly than the psychological and emotional withdrawl.

Here's the good thing, at least for me...I would have never quit had the circumstances not been dire. Now I don't smoke anymore and I'm much better off. I sleep better without coughing all the time. I have energy and can do a lot more.

Your dad is just being normal, in my opinion. I feel the same way every once in a while, but much much less than when I first quit.

Cindy

I quit smoking in 1984. I probably had an occasional craving for a cigarette for a year or so after.

I would have recurring dreams where I started smoking again and was disappointed in my dream. Then I would wake up and realize it was just a dream. The last time I had one of the cigarette dreams was probabaly 10 years or so ago.

Don M

My mom had quit 10 years prior to her diagnosis, but it took her numerous attempts. She said it was always something she had to do for her, when the timing was right. She struggled with it for well over a year, but eventually she said it got to be where even the smell of smoke made her nauseous. I too have read/heard the addiction to nicotine is stronger than the addiction to heroine.

Thank you all for your responses!

My Dad hasn't benefited from the clean smell on his clothes and his hair as a result of not smoking. My Dad lost his sense of taste and smell in the 70's. A bar fight, that's all I know :wink: ...

He told me something early on, right after he was diagnosed that makes me believe he will win this battle. Before his diagnosis, he prayed for help to stop smoking and added to the prayer, "but please don't kill me".

Chemo and radiation was difficult for my Dad as far as fatigue, but I think his loss of taste and smell actually aided him. So many say the smell of food or the taste of it nauseated them during chemo/radiation, but he never had that problem. No metallic taste, nothing. He's now actually 10 pounds heavier than when this all began and we are now looking at weight loss programs for both of us :) .

When he was first diagnosed, him and I researched this site together looking for hope. We found it but we also found despair.

He now avoids this site, I can't blame him. Others with his disease have passed on and I can only imagine as a survivor how this would feel.

I truly appreciate the survivors who have the resolve to carry on and offer newcomers the gift of hope. Once my Dad has reached a comfortable mark, I'm sure he will come back to offer the same hope to others that we so desperately sought 15 months ago.

Thank you again for your thoughts and your support.