Mom is getting very aggitated

Tammy

I feel so sorry for Mom. She has been so good spirited through all of her treatments ate well and even gained 4 pounds she was so proud. Her last treatment was a week ago and she still can't eat. She sometimes can get Boost down and other times it hurts so bad. She is so hungry but the pain in between her breast bone is awful. The Dr gave her liguid Roxicodone but it knocks her out so she don't have a chance to eat and she also has a numbing liquid but that still don't do the trick. I am just so worried Mom was a petite woman all her life 90 lbs and she can't afford to loose weight and I know it is bothering her. I just feel so helpless how did you all get through this? If she could just get something in her this whole thing is so weird she can eat a small donut a little at a time but a banana all smashed she can't swallow it just is so weird how this works. I just wish someone could say Tammy she needs to eat this and it works and everything will be ok I guess now I am getting nervous. God bless you all I pray that everyone beats this awful Monster!!

If she could just get something in her this whole thing is so weird she can eat a small donut a little at a time but a banana all smashed she can't swallow it just is so weird how this works. I just wish someone could say Tammy she needs to eat this and it works and everything will be ok I guess now I am getting nervous. God bless you all I pray that everyone beats this awful Monster!!

It must be a texture thing between the donut she can manage, and not the banana. When my friend is having swallowing problems she's managed to drink those liquid supplements, but she really likes frozen creamsicles - it tastes good and soothing...maybe some others have better suggestions. I know this is so hard to want to do something and not be able to fix it. Hope things get better soon :D

Tammy,

Is your mom getting both chemo and radiation. I can so relate to your mom. I got hit in the middle of my chest with radiation which makes food feel stuck there. Bananas burn bad going down for me also! All fruits do. It must be the acidity of them or something. I can eat cake though; albeit, slowly that is! Ha! The top of my stomach also hurts, so that got radiated slightly too I think. Plus, the chemo caused nausea and vomiting with me.

Have your mom eat foods at room temp., no food with acid including fruits, juices, and tomatos. I can't eat ice cream, but popsicles I can. Try: puddings, jello, cream soups, chicken & stars or noodle soups, ramen noodles, baked fish, spinach, grits, oatmill cream of wheat, cream corn, saltines in broth, eggs, macarronni and cheese, macaronni salad with tuna, creamy peanut butter, and buttercraem icing!

Tammy these are just a few of the things that I have managed to get down. One week ago I vomited every thing I ate. I am down 20 pounds... but I am starting to eat again. I have no appetite still, but eat to survive. Your mom needs protein and iron because of the treatment. Buy foods that are fortified with it. I start with the magic mouth wash. Then I immediately eat and chase each bite with sips of water. Keep me posted on how your mom is doing.

Cheryl

Cheryl & Tammy,

When I had my treatments (38 radiation and 8 carbo/taxol). I could not swallow and also the top of my stomach hurt. The doctor gave me Carafate and it helped. What it does is it coats the lineing of the esophagus and the stomach. It really helped me to be able to eat and drink. You take it about a half hour before you eat. You might want to ask your doctor about it. It doesn't make you sleepy either. Hope this helps

Gos Bless and praying for a "Cure"

By his stripes we are healed.....

Karen

I too took Carafate for a short time, but the thickness of it started to make me gag when I took it!

Funny thing about those bananas -- they burned my throat so bad going down too!!! Two months after treatment, I still have a little trouble with them! I went to a BBQ during treatment -- I couldn't eat a bite of the fruit salad, but I could manage to get down a hamburger on a bun. Another weird thing -- I couldn't eat potato salad, but I could gobble up macaroni salad. No potato chips -- but Tostitos where just fine. No ryme or reason for it -- VERY WEIRD!

My advice -- find what works, and eat a lot of it!!!!! :wink:

Tammy- I had the chemo/radiation combo for 12 weeks. I also had the swallowing problem it felt like a had this huge lump in there and I just couldn't swallow-kept gaging. I had that magic numbing medicine--didn't work real well but I used it. I just would try a bite of this or that for a week or so to see what worked for me-and if it felt good I ate it. For the 1st and only time (so far) I ate anything and everything I wanted. For a week all I could tolerate were popcycles so that's all I ate. All day long-boxes of them. Rootbeer (my favorite), fruit ones etc. They tasted good and I could handle them. Then I moved on to chicken noodle soup and that's all I ate (only one kind tasted good though) for days. Then it was scrambled eggs (every meal for days-can't even look at them now!) I guess what I'm saying is keep trying... If your mom is older she will no doubt hate wasting food-but even if she eats one bite it's worth it. eventually she'll find something that will work and if it works stick with it. I know variety is good but I was afraid to not eat. Like once I got in that cycle I would go downhill or something. I was determined to find something-that I could handle. I'd stay away from the thick stuff-I felt like I was strangling trying to get it down. I'd keep offering her the boost or ensure. Try cold, warm, make it thinner etc. Just keep encouraging her and let her know once the radiation is over that feeling will go away-she's just got to keep up her strength till then.