Thank you for being a friend...

UncleDoug

Everybody who has responded:

My 84 year old mother, who insists on reading every post and reply, put it best: "Doug, these are really, really nice people! How did you find them? I cannot believe that there are so many strangers who would take the time to write such supportive things. It's almost like they were family. You really aren't alone with something like this, are you?"

"No, mom", I answered, "you're not. But it seems that wherever you are, and whenever you're ready, they find you." Old Eastern saying: "When the student is ready, the teacher will come."

As a Thank-you, I'm sending along a recipe for onion soup. I know, I know. But I'm sure that soon you'll be sharing it's love with others (usually, about an hour after you've eaten). It has certainly taught our family the meaning of togetherness under difficult circumstances. After all, feeding onion soup to an 84 year old can only be compared with serving chili to a baby. Confucious say . . . oh, never mind.

Uncle Doug

Creamy Onion Soup

Outback Restaurant

2 large sweet onions; sliced and quartered

2 Tbsp butter

¼ cup Wondra flour

1 14.5 oz can chicken broth

1 tsp sage

1 10.75 oz can French onion soup

1 10.75 oz can cream of celery soup

1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup

1 pint (16 oz) whipping cream (or ½ and ½)

1 8 oz pkg Colby/Monterey jack grated cheese

fresh ground pepper

Melt butter in large soup pot. Add onions and sauté over medium heat until soft and transparent. Add sage; stir. Add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed and roux is formed. Add chicken broth all at once and continue stirring until thick and bubbly. Add cream, pepper, French onion, celery and chicken soups; stir until mixed and heated through. Blend in cheese. Serve with croutons or crusty bread. Serves 6-8

I had this soup at the Outback restaurant one night at a company dinner. It was by far the best part of the meal. I searched the internet for a ‘copycat’ recipe, and although I found several, I developed this one as a quick and easy version. Tastes very close to the real thing!

• 11 months later...

I did not know of Uncle doug but am sad to hear of his passing. My heartfelt condolences go to the family. I willsay an extra prayer tonite for every member of his family.