My mom

begonia

Hi all. I need either reassurance or change of thinking. Mom has stage III nsclc with spots on sternum area, no spreading to liver or brain. Has had 5 chemo, very strong treatments.She is c ompletely in bed, say 90% of the time. Dad is doing all housework and cooking, me and my sister too. She is so sick and weak. No meds really have helped. She decided this week not to take the next chemo (the last one). And she decided to stop radiation and let nature take it's course. She says she is tired of being so sick she can't live any life. From what I have read on here, a lot of patients get treatments and feel bad, but begin to feel better. Mom has been going down hill since her second treatment. No energy, no appetite. The usual. We meet with onco on Wed. I'm afraid he will want her to continue. I don't think she will be able to handle the next treatment. The dr says once we stop treatments her cancer will regrow within 2 months. She says if she is going to be sick and always have to live on treatments, she is ready to stop. I would l ike to know what you all think about this. I will anxiously be awaiting your replies. Thank you so much. These boards have helped me so much. Sincerely, Ruby.

There is no formula that fits everyone. Perhaps your mom's onc would let her off for a few weeks to regain strength before the last treatment. You didn't give any details of what the chemo is, how many cycles she has had, etc., so it is hard to comment much further than that. Ultimately, the patient calls the shots, which is as it should be. I hope things work out better for you and your mom. Don

Ruby is your mom getting any steroids or anti-nausea with chemo? Sometimes that is what makes the patient so sleepy. eb took Promethazine for nausea and she would slep the whole day and night practically. She had been through everything in the cabinet and would have stated Avastin/Alimta on 1/23/2006 the day She passed away in the hospital. Click on profile on the side of thescreen and that will link you to your profile box. the Big box is for Moms profile of dates, treatments, test results, any info about condition you want to post. Also where in NC are you? If you need anything I am in greensboro NC. Deb was treated at Wesley Long By Dr. Peter Ennever. Wonderful Onc. I think. Good Luck and LET US KNOW What happens next. saying Prayers.

Ruby:

Please do post more detail on your mom's treatment as Don suggested....really will help us comment better. And, as Don also said, it really is up to the patient on how much can be tolerated in this process.

I wouldn't expect that nausea is something your mom has to live with: is something to ask the onc. about on Wed, as well as any other suggestions s/he can make on improving quality of life between treatments. There may be some meds. mom needs to be on that she is not currently.

Didn't run across nausea between chemo treatments (only) with my mom, but we have just begun running into the nausea now that radiation started last week -- new symptom, new question for onc. today for us so this side effect doesn't escalate for her. My understanding is that the meds available today make nausea something that doesn't have to be there for the patient.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Last month I finished concurrent Chemo and Radiation and towards the end of treatment, I felt the same as your mother. I felt like the effects of treatment had taken away all the pleasures of life. I understand exactly how she is feeling because I too considered giving up and worse. After completing treatment I was allowed a 4 week recovery period and began feeling much better very quickly. This board was a source of strength whenever I felt like giving up. Read the profiles on this board and you will see that many, many people have completed treatment and gone on to live cancer free of at least they continued to have fruitful lives for many years. Please encourage your mom to read the profiles on this board and she may come to the conclusion that completing treatment is worth the temporary illnesses. It is tough, but the rewards are worth it.