Traveling

Has anyone travled via air with their loved one? If my mom is stopping chemo, we would like to take her on one last trip. Her first choice is Paris as I took her to Disney several years ago, but I believe that will be out of the questions, due to the smoke, plus the cost. Her second is California or Disneyworld. Yes we are Disney nuts. Since she is on oxygen I have no idea what the rules in place are now or how to even arrange. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

Thanks,

Laura

I've traveled with Keith twice while he was undergoing treatment. There really are not too many problems anymore. All that is really required is advance notification to the airline prior to the flight. Not only will they have things set up to accomodate her oxygen equipment, but will have trasport services waiting there to take her from check-in to the plane, from the plane to baggage etc... With advance notice, she should not have any problems with her equipment getting through security either.

Depending on how you purchase the tickets, there is usually the option to give that information immediately at the time of placing the reservation.

Best of Luck, and have a GREAT trip!

Hi, Laura, I hope you all have a wonderful and memorable trip :).

I second what Carleen said about advance notification. A friend of ours recently flew with oxygen and found that it depended on the airline and their individual policies - some completely prohibited it and others were very helpful. A 2005 FAA rule now permits airline companies to allow their passengers the use of portable oxygen tanks during take-off, in flight, and landing, BUT airlines are NOT required to follow the rule.

Also, DisneyWorld Orlando and all Florida restaurants are now all smoke free due to a Florida state-wide law (boy do I love that!)

Enjoy yourselves no matter where you go! :D:D:D

Gina

If and when we are able to I think it we will either be doing a trip to Disneyworld or Disneyland. I think both would be a safe bet and both locations offer no-smoking. Back in July I took her down to Virginia to see her brother who is wheelchair bound and she really enjoyed getting away, our only problem with the trip was that they still allow smoking in the restaurants and even though it was seperated it still bothered her.

You guys have made me feel comfortable knowing that it won't be as stressful to plan but actually something fun to do with her if possible. If flying is not an option maybe a weekend in Newport or something similar would be fun.

You all are in my prayers. Thanks again.

Best to check with the lung doc as to flying. There is some type of flight test they can do for people with lung problems to see if it is okay for them to fly. Flying is out of the question for some people due to atmospheric changes, pressure, etc. We flew last fall and Tony had a terrible bloody sputum incident. Our best friend (with SCLC) was told she cannot fly at all.

Double check with the airlines also. Some will charge you to use their oxygen supply and not let you use your own. We rented tanks and a concentrator when we arrived in Florida (not Disney).

Good luck and hope you can take your Mom traveling.

Mom went to Cabo this summer. Here are a few things we learned about air travel with O2:

Most of the MAJOR airlines have some sort of O2 system in place, but it can get costly...up to $100 per leg of the trip for some, I believe. You have to have all of the info from the dr, etc. Also, you need to check flights carefully. For example, American Airlines may work for you, but if one of the flights is American Eagle, it won't.

We were able to get Mom on an Inogen One oxygen system. It's new, so it took some working to make sure the airlines understood it, but the plus to it is that she could wheel it right on board, and use it the whole time. We didn't have to pay anything extra, and she had O2 with her the whole time--no transferring, etc--at her level, not having to worry if someone had it set right, etc. The Inogen One is basically a mini concentrator, so it doesn't run out of oxygen on long flights, and it isn't as unstable as other oxygen sources.

Mom is on Medicare, and it paid for the Inogen One. The airlines wanted her to have a certain # of back-up batteries (her system could plug directly into an outlet on the seat--the batteries were for emergencies), and her O2 company loaned her the extra batteries.

You can PM me if you need any more info. I'm so thrilled that my mom got to go on her trip. I hope you guys are able to make your work as well!

:) Kelly