GENERAL HOSPITAL STORY LINE

stephnewyork34

Hey guys,

sorry that I have been away for so long.. Things in my life have been up in the air...etc!!!

BUT I do watch General Hospital.. For years they have covered AIDS and HIV, then they went on to cover bi-polar/manic depression...which also meant a lot to me...now one of their most beloved characters, Alexis Davis, played by Nancy Grahmn has been diagnose with LUNG CANCER stage 2...they haven't defined SCLC or NSCLC but isn't that good? More coverage the better!!

I hope you are all welll!!! lots of love!

Steph

hey folks,

GH is usually really good at portraying these things. They have done a great job with AIDS/HIV and not trivalizing it either, like some shows....People get it, they get sick, they die, but not too dramatic. It is well done. The guy playing Sonny, (the character who is bi-polar) Maurice Benard, actually is bi-polar and so this is close to his heart, I am hoping they explore this further....so I am sure Alexis having Lung Cancer will be great.

Also on the OC, the grandmother has lung cancer, and that show is seen by millions.. Prime Time you know...

Let's hope this Alexis is "cured". Has she gone to any treatments yet? :)

When I was dx'd, Days of our Lives had a Hope look-a-like killed off, but oh well, the autopsy showed she had lc, so implication was she was going to croak anyway. Hubby made me stop watching Days for awhile after that. :lol:

I think I will be watching GH tomorrow. Barb

I just might have to check out GH this week. I followed it when I was much younger but no longer have the time. However, I'm in my chemo funk this week and nothing much else to do so ...... a little GH and some icecream might be just the ticket.

Tracy

I think Alexis starts treatments after her surgery...in 2 weeks... I heard Nacy Grahmn may leave the show..so maybe she won't be cured..

Days, I also watched, but to be honest... GH handles things better and more realistically they even get experts... so I am hopeful they will do it justice. lets watch and see....

They did mention the type - Adenocarcinoma - with Alexis' statement that it was the most common type in women, and that 20% of it's women victims, like her character, had NEVER smoked!!! Hooray for GH!!!

I saw this storyline coming a couple of weeks ago, and actually wrote ABC (I've NEVER done that before, but I felt I HAD to) to applaud their mission. I included a fact sheet on LC - posted to the "Daytime" boards on their website. So far, they've done an excellent job with LC - tho' I do hope that they will keep Alexis around to also reinforce that this can be BEATEN!!!

The part that freaks me out is her coughing, and sudden asthma symptoms, and need for inhalers. This is exactly how I've been for the past year...I never had ANY asthma symptoms in my life, before now :roll:

Anyways, hats off to GH for bringing this out of the shadows, and using the show to educate!

I watch this show - for years. And have been really interested in how they are portraying this. Yesterday they stated a statistic something like 20% of all women who get adenocarcinoma are non-smokers. And they had said at some point that adenocarcinoma was the one that women most often got (I think they said this).

Anyway, just my .02.

Paula

It is amazing what Soaps teach us. I first learned about the mafia from General Hospital back in my high school days :)

And Isabella on Days introduced me to the fear of pancreatic cancer :)

Steph--I am a closet Days watcher and you are right, they do not handle things realistically. I wanted to throw things at the tv since Belle, Mimi and I went through in-vitro at the same time and let's just say I wanted to live in Salem! :)