My Heart is Breaking

Guest migizicny

Guest migizicny

Well on July 31 my Dad had a left pneumonectomy. Did well. Recovered well. Still had nagging low back pain. Scheduled to begin carbo/taxol on Aug. 31. 1st chemo cancelled as MD wanted bone scan due to back pain. Pain meds have increased consistantly since surgey. Now we find out he has bone mets to sacral and rt iliac wing also 5th rib. Icing on the cake...he goes Wednesday for a liver biopsy.

My heart is breaking. As an onc nurse, I have a feeling what is in store for him. I can't bear the thought of losing him or him being in pain.

What I would love from you all are encouraging stories. Has anyone faced all of this? What route did you take? Does anyone have any feedback on the Cancer Centers of America? Help please.

Lisa :cry:

My mom had some bone mets and the radiation really took care of it right off! She had very quick pain relief too. Looking back I wish my Step father had gone to a cancer care center, aparently Spokane (where we live) is great for heart problems but not very good for cancer treatment. I had no say in her care but if it were me, my Hubby and I already said we would go where ever and do what ever it took, and I think I would start with a second opinion from a Cancer Center of America.

It may not be convenient but I know we have one only 5 hours away in Seattle and I wish my mom would have gone there. They use nutrition and whole body/homeopathic care to keep your strength up to fight the disease along with traditional treaments and they have advanced radiology treatments. I sound like a commercial I know but I would be willing to try anything.

Prayers for your family! I can imagine as an oncology nurse you have so much info in your head swirling around, it must be very difficult!

Hi Lisa,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and unfortunately I can totally relate. I was also diagnosed with mets to my sacrum and spine.

I have to say though that things have not been as bad as I imagined they would be. I really feel relatively well and am totally enjoying my life. In fact, I stopped working the day I received my diagnosis, so you can say, I'm now really able to smell the roses. I enjoy every day, rain, shine, whatever.

Of course, I've had my days, but all in all, I can't complain.

They do wonders today with pain management, so I wouldn't fixate on your dad being in pain. Hopefully it will be able to be controlled. There are great drugs out there that work.

I don't know much about the Cancer Centers of America, but have heard good things. I do know that the major cancer centers are probably the most up to date with any new procedures or information. I myself go to one in New York.

I wish you both the best and if there is any way I can be of help, please feel free to pm me. There are lots of great people on this site who are living well with very similar dx.

Joan

Just want you to know that I am thinking about you and your dad. I am really sorry for his new diagnosis.

But lets just go forward and have this taken care of. Joanie told you she had the same thing and now she is doing just fine. Keep the faith...Faith doesn't get you around trouble, it gets you through it.

Take care and keep us posted.

Maryanne

Lisa,I had left lung removed 06/2003.Have had radiation and carbo/taxol several diff. ocassions.

Cancer has spread to a couple other places in my other lung and also to my windpipe.It has now been over 3 years and tho I am very limited to any options left I am still doing fairly well.I play golf,fish,hunt,do yardwork,shop with my wife and many other activities.

Treatments are hard to endure but are doable and in my case have given me several years of good quality time.

I feel there is much txs available to help him.Don't give up the ship.

I believe Darrell has been to Cancer Center Of america In Chicago and was vvery impressed with their operation. They had a very comprehensive Team Of Drs For Treatment. Check out Good News and Survivor Forum for more Inspring stories. Sending Prayers.