starting chem &radiation

alexan

Hi Bucky,

I didn't have that particular combo of chemo, but in general I found it helpful to drink lots and lots of water -- before, during and after treatment. It also helped me to bring some snacks along. Believe it or not, I actually found a certain comfort in going for the treatments because I kept telling myself that each treatment completed was bringing me closer to healing. Good luck with the treatments and let us know how they're going.

Trish

Hi Bucky!

I have just finished my 6 weeks of radiation - 5 days a week and I, too had chemo treatments of cisplatin and etoposide ( vp16 ). What I found helpful for me in controlling the nausea was to take a zofran the evening of my last day of chemo, followed by another the next morning, afternoon and evening. I took three Zofran a day for 5 days. They will put Zofran in your pre-meds on the days you receive chemo, as well as other "nice" drugs such as Atavan ( loved it! )- make sure you ask for the atavan in your premeds, will definately help you feel better; besides being an anti-anxiety drug it helps with nausea. I made myself get out and go for walks every day - still do. Helps keep my attitude "right". I refuse to give in to this cancer, I will not let it beat me. I go in for a ct scan on Monday and from there we will know how much more the tumor has shrunk and whether or not to do surgery. I was diagnosed with stage IIIb in July and can tell you that today I feel pretty good. Hang in there!

cyndi

My mom also had Cisplatin and Etoposide. Her main things were nausea defintely do the Zofran and fatigue. Rest, exercise and drink fluids. Many prayers that all will go well. My mom has been in remission since May of last year. She had the treatment with radiation, surgery, then more treatment and I believe radiation. best of luck

I took Cisplatin, etopiside and had 6 weeks radiation at the same time. Taking these chemo's was a breeze for me.

I did take several antinausea drugs and never felt nauseated. I kept waiting to get hit with the side effects from the drugs, but they never came.

I also didn't have any problems with the radiation.

I did get tired and took a nap every day but otherwise felt pretty darn good.

Good luck,

Wendy

Hi Bucky,

I just wanted to share with you that I too did the same treatments your headed to do, and I did mine 11+ years ago. :wink::wink:

Drink LOTS and LOTS of water and always keep your doctor and nurses in tune as to how your feeling during your treatments. They get paid BIG BUCKS to take good care of you, and it's OKAY to whine and complain during that time! Don't assume it's nothing if your feeling poorly.

I went through my treatments with flying colors too.

I did however dehyderate after my last chemo session. BUMMER! Not fun. :roll: So, drink that water and rest when your body feels tired. It's very important to rest during that time.

Good luck and keep us up to date on how your doing.

Just want to say hi, and I know all will work out for you. If you get side effects it does take a couple of day to kick in. But then they will just go away.

It is important to drink plenty of water and to rest during the day if possible.

Good luck, I know you will beat this thing. Keep a positive attitude and before you know it, it will be over.

Maryanne :wink: