neurapathy and alimta

sbf815

My mom has had 8 rounds of cisplatin/ alimta. This caused her neurapthy which she is happy to have instead of the alternative. She is now on her 4th or 5th treatment of alimta. Her neurapathy is getting worse. We asked her doctor here and he said that the alimta should not cause neurapathy. I have gone on the web sights and seen other people's stories and have found that yes, it can cause neurapathy. I told him this and he strongly disagreed. We are going to Boston tomorrow so they will know better but I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience. My mom has stage IIIb mesothelioma but a year later has inactive cancer cells. The chemo's worked so well. I am trying to figure out how to do a profile but haven't had much time.

Stephanie

Other patients at our oncologist's office have experienced neuropathy very late in their course of treatment -- like during the last two sessions. I guess it is possible that it could spring up at any time. Has your Mom tried B-6? We were told by the onc. that my husband should be taking up to 600 mg per day to help with that problem. (Fortunately he never did develop any neuropathy, but remains on the B-6 for insurance.) Check with your Mom's Oncologist.

Good luck and I hope you find the answers.

Welthy

Stephanie, I did a little digging around and officially speaking, Neuropathy does decrease with ALimta. REALISTICALLY SPEAKING, every persons body is different. Based on what Meds and chemo treatments your mom has had, you are right. I am not a doctor and I do know that it is good that you are keeping up with side effects and Letting Onc know. Second opinions are great to be able to get. If I can help wwith anything I will be happy to help. Have posted quite a bit about Neuropathy and Chemo. Go to search and type in Neuropathy and you should get more info. PM if I can help with anything. Prayers and Warm Blankets out of the dryer for comfort.

My mom got neuropahty from carboplatin and while it improved it never went completely away. When she was on Alimta it did not cause the neuropahty to increase at all. Alimta was a chemo my mom did great on as she did not have any side effects except some fatigue for a day or two about 48hrs after a treatment. JanMarie

We went down to Boston and her oncologist there said that it is possible in some cases. She started getting nuerapathy from cisplatin/alimta. Her oncologist is suggesting that we now do the alimta every 6 weeks instead of every 3. My mom's cancer is inactive right now so they can do that. If it doesn't get any better then they are going to give her a break for awhile, which is very scary. Thanks for all of the advice!! My mom does take folic acid everyday and every threee weeks gets her B-6, or 12 shot. My mom also takes many vitamins. Talk to everyone soon.

Stephanie

• 5 months later...

My dad has had 4 rounds (I think) of Alimta. He doesn't per se experience the SOB, but he is experiencing alternating diareha (sp?) and constipation. Anyone else experience this? I've read about SOB and fatigure, but not this.

Thanks in advance

Paula

My mom had a pretty easy time with her first round of chemo, which was carbo/taxol but then she went on to Alimta after a recurrence and it was mean to her. She had all of the symptoms mentioned above. Her Dr. could not believe it, but it was definitely caused by Amilta use. The good news, it held the lung cancer stable forever. Damn the brain mets....