Two Stories

bware21

STORY #1: About 30 years ago the BBC produced a documentary about a middle-aged woman somewhere in Europe (Germany, if I remember correctly). Her entire body was riddled with cancer to the point where the doctors were confounded as to why she was even alive. The mere fact that she was still breathing was considered to be a mystery -- hence the BBC's interest in producing the show. I vaguely remember seeing the X-ray images of the woman's body, from head to toe -- not a pretty sight. Some time later (probably months, though it could have been a year), the BBC did a follow-up on the original show, and yes, you may have guessed ... not only was this woman still alive, but not a trace of cancer could be found anywhere in her body. And here's the rub -- since the airing of the first show this woman had had no treatment whatsoever, simply because the doctors thought it better that she be made comfortable in her "last days." Still don't believe in miracles?

STORY #2: At least 20 years ago, the BBC (damn BBC produce some good stuff) followed an experiment in Europe -- either Holland, Belgium or Germany. The experiment was considered to be unethical and some even thought it illegal, though I'm not sure how the law would play into this. In any case, a doctor took it upon himself to select 12 patients who had had the same diagnosis/staging of cancer, which at the time was deemed untreatable and terminal. For 6 of the patients he conducted a series of tests and then informed all 6 that they were cancer-free (regardless of what the test results showed). For the other 6 he conducted the same battery of tests and told all 6 that they were indeed terminal and he gave the stock prognosis at the time, which basically gave them all about 6 months to live. Now, I can't remember the exact statistics but I do know that I'm not far off when I say that of the 6 he told were cancer-free all 6 lived longer than 2 years and 4 of them were still alive and truly cancer-free 5 years later. Of the 6 he told were terminal, all 6 died within two years. This story came back to me in the year 2000 when I watched my mother's condition rapidly deteriorate from the moment her doctor offered a negative prognosis (this was in Spain, by the way). Needless to say, at the time I was very angry that any doctor, Spanish or otherwise, would be so arrogant as to assume their opinion in this matter had any value. Now that I'm in the same boat, so to speak, the instructions my doctors have are very simple -- tell me whatever you like, but don't ever offer an opinion or place a timeline on my life. What I expect from any doctor are facts and facts alone -- not opinions based on guesswork, regardless of how many years experience they may have. Lucky for me, the doctors I'm dealing with fully understand what it is I'm saying to them and they don't allow their egos to get in the way.

From The Augeries of Innocence, by William Blake:

"To See a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the Palm of Your Hand

And Eternity in an Hour"

Bill

Those two stories warm my heart and I thank you for sharing them with us. I am a true believer in the power of positive thinking and sending those powerful, positive thoughts into our universe and believing with every fiber of my being that it is truly helpful, not only for our physical bodies but our spirits as well.

Blessings to you and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Sounds like your doc(s) is a keeper :)

Libby

Bill,

Miracles still happen today. You are right that no doctor knows how long anyone has to live. I was told one of their dumb estimates and I did not appreciate it, but I was too stubborn and they did not know my chief physician. I feel like I have been blessed with a small miracle.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Glad these two stories helped. I'll attempt to research the two BBC programmes and see if they're available, but they're both from a long time ago. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. Rather odd (or ironic) that I remember them so well, particularly the first one. But yes, miracles do happen -- though a shame they don't always happen on cue :)

As for the second story, if there's one word that really agitates me it's "prognosis." And what is a prognosis? Nothing more than a shot-in-the-dark piece of guesswork from someone who doesn't have a damn clue what else to say. Give me a diagnosis, by all means ... but a prognosis? To use a common English term -- bollocks to that! Since when did doctors become psychic?

Keep the spirit strong and allow the body to relax. You may not be able to wish away the cancer (though I do keep trying) but the spirit will always triumph in the end -- that's the nature of it.

Bill

Brian was truly holding his own, though sick, till Dec. 22, 2005. The doctor said no more treatment....cancer has progressed too far. Brian nosedived and died on Jan. 1, 2006.

He believed till Dec. 22 that he would beat LC. On Dec. 22 'they' told him he wouldn't and he believed them. No one ~ especially the doc~ could believe he died that fast.

Hope is healing.

Love

Pat

Why do you say you will never visit England? Is it a place you don't want to go? You know, sometimes you can get there cheaper than a flight from LA to New York. NEVER SAY NEVER :D

And if you ever decide you want to go, then let me know and I'll arrange somewhere for you to stay where you won't have the burden of hotel bills (as that's usually the pocket-breaker on any trip). England is not cheap at the moment, and hasn't been for a few years because of the exchange rate (it "kills" me financially every time I go these days, but it's my home and I need to go nomatter what the cost).

But who am I to talk? I've been saying for years that I want to see the pyramids and the Holy Land. Have I seen them yet? Nope. And why? Because I'm a lazy bugger and have never made the effort. All the times I've been to Las Vegas, I could have traveled the world in style. Go figure :(

Bill

[bware21] Why do you say you will never visit England? Is it a place you don't want to go? You know, sometimes you can get there cheaper than a flight from LA to New York. NEVER SAY NEVER :D

Well, Bill, I didn't say "never" -- I said "probably never." Last time I checked there was a difference, though that may apply only to former Texans.:P

No, I'd LOVE to visit England, and in fact all of Europe, none of which I've seen. But I would leave from Honolulu rather than LA, and I'd prefer to head west and go around the world in the opposite direction. That would give me some quality nostalgia time as I flew over those parts of East and Southeast Asia where I spent several years, then a chance to view other areas of the world which up to now I've glimpsed only through the eyes of National Geographic.

But first things first: get the cancer under control (I'm reasonably confident there), then improve my lung function to the point where I can be an active participant in the goings-on instead of a sedentary tourist.

Thanks and Aloha.

Bill,

This topic has been something that has been on my mind since the death of my Mom in September.

I feel that when my Moms doctor told her no more treatments and that she would probably live another month he took every ounce of hope away from her. Like Brian, she took a nosedive and we could only watch the fighting spirit and her life being drained from her because of him playing God.

I only wish he would have asked us first what our thoughts were to give her that type of devastating news. Just one of the many what if's.......

I might print this out and send it to him with a few thoughts of my own.

Thank you for this post.

Melinda

I completely believe in the power of suggestion and a positive mind etc.etc. It scares the begibbers out of me and I still battle nerves when my head and logic say the opposite. I also believe the mind will act on the words it hears from it's own mouth as if it were an instruction. Your mind is listening to you and taking it's instructions as per your voice and words. Hense the phrase "You can think it .... just don't say it .... Cause that is when you'll jinx it!" However I do think the phrase is just as much for a good as it is for a bad. This comes from deep born, personal determination and natural born sturbborness ... no where else. Not to be inturpted as "we all want this to go away and still the best of the fight are being taken"... To succeed in beating anything by mental status is not alone ... it only works with an equal partnered body able to complete it's task.

OK, I can deal with it ......... I'm abit out there. But I've seen it work in the most unlikely ways .... My mother always said after her 1970 histdorectomy for certvical cancer. "There will NEVER be a day a doctor tells me I cancer ever again. If I have a cancer I want it quick and don't want to know about it." She got her wish in 1994, a quick growing (6mon's) cancerous brian tumour. As a hypocondriac she never told the family doctor about the cronic headaches she spontaniously started to have. hmmmmm! Sixth sense, someone pulling strings for her, or a flook? Who cares, she got her wish!

My Dad is a Manic Depressive, the man has been man handled by police and hospital goons for over 20 years. My family was in a car accident where the driver turned ever so slightly so he didn't T-Bone us. Still hitting us hard enough for both the motor mounts on the engine to break clear threw. The simple idea and thought of "what could've happened" to his daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren threw him into a Manic episode. Lung Cancer is not a THOUGHT, it's a reality hovering over this mans head and threating his weak heart daily. Not one ioda of a Manic episode is apparent but he gives himself his daily dose of "I hope I can live longer and enjoy as much as I can, after that .... What can you do!"

It's my conclusion with these examples as well as my pockets full of more to add.... including Lucie, Ron, etc etc on this board ........... Anything is possible and our wishes are our commands.

There's my thought for the day ......... and I'll throw in the dime it's worth!

Tammy

I am firm believer in positive thinking. I wish my sister would be more positive. She worries about everything..which is usually nothing. I kinda got on her case about that this weekend. She was so upset, because her step-son left a washcloth in the bathtub. She is a clean-freak, but I just can't imagine worrying about something so meaningless,especially if I had been diagnosed with lung cancer. I am going to print your post so she can read it. She has a tremendous faith in God, but is unable to totally let go and let GOD. To me, Fear is Faith turned inside out. When you believe in something,you should not have doubts. I just wish I knew how to get her to be more positive. Hopefully, your post will help her.

Bill,

I'm not sure what I would want, the doctors to tell me there is nothing more they can do or just have them not say anything. My cousin passed away on Thanksgiving at 71 after a 16 year battle with Lymphoma. The Dr.'s told him there was nothing left they could try. So he said, "let me go home". He died at home within a week. In that week he summoned his entire family as he tried to say goodbye to each, some made it in time, others did not. His 92 year old mother (my aunt ninette) was by his side when he died. At the funeral I asked her "did you see your mom die too". Her mother had died at age 39 of cancer. My aunt said yes, I was also by her side. What I wanted to know was did she tell her what to do after she died, How to care for the other kids, my aunt was the oldest. Did she talk about the end at all. I asked. My aunt told me that she never knew she was dying. They never told her. I'm not sure I would want that either. But I do agree that doctors are not God and they really do not know when we will go.

I planned to go to sicily this year and england soon after with Jerusalum on my short list must see places I need to travel to soon but now I may be continuing chemo for awhile into 07.

Lilly

Well, this is why my nickname for this forum is hope and strength. My dad needed hope. He had the strength. I tried to keep him hopeful the whole time and I have no regrets about that. I really think it would have devastated him more having someone tell him to go home, there was nothing more they could do. Although that is only my opinion and I wasn't the patient. There is always some kind of hope, no matter what the situation. Whether it is to see your grandchildren get married, or to see the beautiful sunrise the next day.

Thanks for the great information!

Cathy