After Radiation?

My husband just finished 38 radiation treatments on 1/2/07. They told us that the radiation continues to work even after ending treatment. This last week he has been more exhausted weak, and sick than ever. Can anyone give me any ideas how their loved one or themselves have felt after radiation treatments. He also coughed up some blood last night. We haven't seen this since he started radiation. I told him I joined this support area and he ask me if I could find out anything regarding anyone elses experiences on how they felt after radiation. Thanks

Max-

Can you describe sick? Is there a fever? You need to be careful that he doesn't get an infection while his counts are down. If there is a fever, call your doctor. Radiation is hard, but he will begin to gradually feel better.

Our doctor doesn't seem to be overly concerned about a small amount of blood. He said it could be irritation. If it is more than a tablespoon you probably should call. Good luck-- sorry he is feeling poorly.

I'm so sorry your husband is feeling poorly. He's been through quite an aggressive treatment schedule so far so it's not unusual to feel "whooped" after that -- he will gradually get to feeling better.

We were told that the effects of radiation last for months after it's completed (i.e. it keeps working on the tumours). Mom found radiation tougher to endure than chemo while she was going for her radiation treatments (to the point she couldn't complete the plan...but there were other issues going on for her too).

Any change should be reported to the doc. as Ry said. May be nothing, but just in case it's something....ALWAYS report things like the blood, fever, any change in how he feels (trouble swallowing, nausea...anything), to the doctor.

Linda

Hi Mefoster, I was pooped for about a year after chemo and radiation. Afternoon naps almost everyday for a few years.

I was told the radiation keeps on working even after treatments stop. Your husband has had a very tough course, I think he should be pooped. :)

Prayers for good results on his scans in the next few months.

Barb

Being exhausted and even coughing a little more sound like I felt. I did not cough up blood but I see that was happening before the radiation. There is a thing called radiation pneumonitis that can cause cough and shortness of breath. I understand that can happen even months after radiation. I am almost 3 1/2 years out from radiation but I still wheeze and cough. I also feel more tired than before treatments started.

What Ry said about fever and coughing up blood is true. If things are different call your doc.

Nina

I must say that the radiation was tougher on me than the chemo and really wore me out. It does continue to work for quite sometime ... once I got the burns on the outside to begin to heal everything seemed to get a little easier. I was sleeping alot during the day while doing radiation treatments. You would want to check with his doctor on the blood issue is it bright red (fresh) or a darker brownish black color?? When I did cough up a bit was after my lung collapsed during the installation of my port and it was dark in color and they told me it was nothing to be concerned about.

Since Mom's had so many radiation treatments to so many different areas of her body (starting with the pelvic region when she had cervical cancer) we joke with her that she glows green. :lol:

She does, however, hit the skids about a week after treatment ends. She says "I FEEL wonderful, I just have NO energy, no stamina." Gradually she starts to regain that lost stamina and energy...it just takes a while.

Again, as Ry said, if there's a fever or anything you're in doubt about...call the dr. It's not being a pest or overly worried, it's being cautious.

The radiation that my mom had to her neck and spine was harder then the chemo treatment. She ended up in the hospital from dehydration and pneumonia. The doctors did not do a good job on monitoring her. Make sure that you advocate to have your loved one put on liquids if they are not eating or drinking and have all there vital signs checked. I had asked if my moms reaction was normal and they said yes, so she ended getting extremely ill. Trust your instinks. But in a nutshell the doctors will tell you that there are no symptoms from radiation but this is not true.