Question on Follow Up Scans

mary colleen

I spoke with the nurse at the Oncology office yesterday. My husband is having his first post surgical, post chemo scans in a week, and I was trying to coordinate the scheduling. I asked what scans he would be having next week, and she said that only a chest CT was ordered. This surprised me a little bit - I guess I thought that he would at least have an abdominal CT while having the chest CT, or maybe even a PET scan.

Maybe someone can tell me what the norms are on this?

Thanks

I had CT scans every 3 months following my first chemo and when one suggested the possibility of another tumor, I immediately (3 days) had a PET scan. After the 2nd surgery/chemo I had a different Onc.(I moved)and he ordered CTs every 3 months, but occassionally a PET (once a year or so). For the last scan, (Jan) he gave me a choice of CT or PET. I asked which provided the most info. and he said a PET scan, so that's what I chose.

Muriel

I think the ct is most valuable since the chemo is really treating the primary cancer, so we see the results. I think PET scans are not exact - (arthritis, and other normal activity lights up - and it doesn't show size ). I feel if the lung tumor is under control, then new tumors shouldn't be spinning off to places far and away. If I have pain or problems elsewher, then my doctor will order additional test, but he also stays with CTs and MRIs.

Maey

From what I understand the best information can be obtained from a Hybrid CT/PET scan. This way they can over lay the scans and get a better picture. Medicare will not pay for this. They want a CT scan and then a PET scan if it is required. I don't know if all insurance companies will pay for this. As far a CT scans alone, this is the norm a lot of times. I had only CT scans till they thought they could use radiation. Then they gave me a PET scan. The last check up was a Hybrid.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I think that a CT is appropriate, and I also believe that they can see everything they need to see in a CT of the chest. The liver and adrenals show up in a chest CT.

PET scans are extremely expensive, and as somebody else mentioned, probably at this point insurance would not pay for it unless something in the CT showed up that warrants further study. A PET is also about a half day procedure, where a CT is just minutes, so the comfort of the patient is also an issue.

They are going to be looking for changes by comparing films to previous CT scans, so based on what I've experienced, this is appropriate. Regular follow up studies to be alert for changes is what we're looking for in post treatment situations.

Cindy

I completed my radiation and chemo treatments the first part of August 2006. I was scheduled for a PET scan at the end of September. Had another PET in December and believe they will schedule me for another in March. I think they do a PET every 3 months until a year and if no change then they either lessen the frequency or change to a CT.

We were told that since the chemo is still working for several weeks after your last treatment our first scan would be in three months.Gary's first scan was a pet and a ct scan plus labs then three months later it was only a ct scan and labs three months later it was labs and an x ray and we are now starting again with the Pet and CT scan and labs one year after gary's last treatment. He will then do the same as last year for one more year every three months. I do believe after the second year he will go every 6 mos and then after 5 years once a year.If all goes well.

Lorrie