Recurrent Fevers

daggiesmom

I have a problem with fever. I've heard that normal is not necessarily 98.6 for everyone. Usually, my temp is around 97 or so. I don't know if that is because of hypothyroid that I got as a result of radiation hitting my thyroid. However, I was experiencing recurrent fevers last summer, just before my bleeding issue began. Every other week or so I would get a low grade fever (under 101) that would last about two days. I feel crumby when these fevers hit. I've had three instances of this low grade fever since December, the lastest being today. I take tylenol and within a day or so it disappears. I've mentioned this to the doctors, but they don't seem to be too concerned. However, it makes me pretty miserable.

Does anyone here have a similar problem? If so, what were you told to do? Do I just have to live with this? In the grand scheme of things it is minor, but I kind of worry if I'm harboring another bacteria. Should I ask the surgeon for a CAT scan?

Thanks guys.

Joanie ((()))

Hey Joanie,

I would worry too. What does the onc say? How about the team that treated you in the hospital? Seems you have a 'history' that SOMEONE should be paying attention to. I remember you talking about this before and IMHO it needs to be checked out

Love and hoping all is well.

Kasey

Joanie,

I would have it checked out too. Mark it on your caldendar including the time. If there is a pattern developing here you need to make your doctors aware of it. They don't seem to be aware of much that does not come from research or a clinical trial so take your own date and time documentation with you. Stay well!

Carol

Yeah, Kasey, this was a problem in the past.I'm supposed to get a CAT scan at the end of February. That is the regular schedule. If this fever causes me more problems this weekend I'm gonna call the doctor. I would think a blood test would indicate bacterial growth. Otherwise, I feel fine. Just need to stop worrying so much!

Joanie ((()))

Joanie--

You need to go to your family doc and ask for blood cultures to see if there is a bacteria. Don't let them send you away-- be firm, tell them you feel something is wrong.

I had to do this with my own family doctor-- I kept getting a fever that would come and go and I just felt that somehow I had endocarditis again (I'd had it years ago in college). He said it was a virus, he did a blood test in the office, etc. -- I was back and forth there 3 times. I asked for blood cultures twice and he said my counts were good no sign of infection, yada yada. He took blood several times and said there was no way I had an infection. Finally, visit number four I looked him in the eye and said, "something is wrong, I can feel it, something is not right. If you send me away I will just be back again in 3 days." He sent me for the blood cultures (they had to be done at the hospital). In a day he was on the phone admitting me to hospital for endocarditis and apologizing like hell. So, long story short-- go for the cultures, fever is nothing to screw around with. Don't rely on the blood test they do in the office-- get the cultures done.

Ok Joanie...not to be a pest but I think I remember you felt something wasn't right just before you landed in the hospital with your fistula. So I say you know your body pretty well with all you've gone through. Did you have an infectious disease doc? If so, maybe you should contact him about looking for a possible infection. Lungs are nice warm places for things to grow. Good luck--

Joanie,

Henk had the same problems last year. He had these recurrent fevers for several months. Docs weren't concerned and it was only after several visits that his blood etc. was tested: he had pneumonia!

So, yes, like others have already said: demand a blood test. It isn't 'normal' to have recurrent fevers.

Ellen.

Thanks to all for your responses regarding the fevers that keep coming back. I had another one this morning. I have PCP appointment tomorrow and also an appointment with the surgeon who did the work in October. I feel better having their opinions and maybe we'll get to the bottom of this. I really am sick and tired of this.

Thanks for all your great suggestions and support. I'll let you know the outcome.

Joanie ((()))

Hi all,

Went for the blood work and saw the surgeon yesterday. Surgeon says I'm prone to these fevers due to the wound I have. I have to ride them out. My immune system apparently isn't the greatest (no surprise there) and I do have to be careful around sources of bacteria. I think I need my own personal bubble :) Seriously though, I'll get the blood results soon and know for sure if there's anything nasty in there. The surgeon assured me that my October trouble will NOT return as the wound is healing well. The bacteria won't have a place to hide. That is good. He also recommended I continue to eat steak, high protein food, lots of it!!!

Just as an aside, these fevers really get to me. Up until this all began in 2002, I really was not a sickly person at all. Now I feel like I've turned into a sickly old lady (fevers, can't sleep without a pill, my hair is falling out again, exactly three months after the operations, same as last time. Some days I feel alot older than 53. I know you guys know how I feel. I have too much going on right now, none of which I asked for or ever expected. I really never thought I'd miss working, but I sure do. Anyway........

Joanie ((()))