Smoking/LC

gail

I'll pick up the ball. I read with interest all the posts. I find myself 21 months :lol::lol: later, telling people, yes, I quit smoking 17 years prior to diagnosis of NSCLC. And that I had only smoked for 10 years, and less than a pack a day. And that I was an obnoxious non-smoker. I also inform them that my LC was the kind non-smokers get. And that Ozzie Nelson (Ozzie and Harriet) had died of lung cancer and had never in his life smoked.

I want people to know this so they will not smoke. If this can happen to me, why increase the odds by smoking now?

I am wondering who will be the first person I jump in the WAWA line buying cigarettes.

You actually described me and my smoking/quitting history. But, you know I don't know if I am going to continue to tell people that. I think am going to move to the "why are you asking" mode. I don't like the fact that people will sympathize with me but not someone that "deserves" LC because they didn't quit.

When my husband (a smoker) was first diagnosed the "wonderful" :evil: ER doctor informed my children that the cigarette companies don't put the warning on the label for nothing!!! :evil::x:twisted: He also told us he had a couple weeks to live.

When he went in for pneumonia another ER dr. (After askling if my husband smoked when getting his medical info)-immediately said -my uncle has lung cancer and he never smoked-many people who do not smoke get cancer.

Our new Dr. gave us statistics(I might have wrong numbers but you'll get the point)-80% of people who get lung cancer are or were smokers, but only 15% of smokers get cancer. He then told us that our children and Gianni's sisters are probably more suseptable(sp?) to lung cancer because of their genes. What a difference in attitude!!

We need to get more money and awareness to cure and diagnose this dreaded disease.

Rosanne

Dear Rosanne and All,

Rosanne, I have had doctor's say the same thing regarding the gene issue. And I also have read that 85% of ex-smokers are dx.d with lung cancer and 15% of non smokers are dx.d with lc. I read that in the 2001 NCI Lung Cancer Report. But I also have to say that this report is very contridicting in many ways. So, who do we believe on this statistic issue?

Out of all honesty, I continued to smoke until the day they took my left lung out (which was July 25, 1995) After surgery, that was the LAST thing on my mind was wanting a cigarette. But, like many, I tried repeatedly to quit, time and time again. And of course I have the factor of my father, mother and sister all being diagnosed with lung cancer and they too were all smokers. But all my Doc's have told me it's more of a GENE thing. Now I don't know if they were telling me that to make me feel good, or if they really meant what they were saying. They said the Cigarettes may be what trigered the cancer. Like Dave Grant, I too don't feel guilt or shame because I smoked. I'm sure everyone has something in there lives they did they aren't totally proud of or pleased with . But, non the less, NO ONE deserves lung cancer or any other type of cancer for that matter.

I had a lady come up to me at Regions Hospital here in Minnesota one day when I was eating lunch in the lunch room just before my Lung Cancer Support Group meeting. At that time, I was wearing one of my Lung Cancer Shirts. Printed on the front of the shrit it says, "Lung Cancer Survivor" This lady, (who worked at the hospital) looked over at me and read my shirt and said, "Boy, am I glad I never took up that nasty habit"! I looked at her and said, "what habit is that?" and she very comfidently said, "SMOKING"! I just looked back at her and said, "I know a LOT of people that never took up that nasty habit and have lung cancer" But, she didn't seem to see it that way. So, I just dropped it and ate my lunch.

I have also run into a LOT of people that honestly didn't know you can get lung cancer from NOT SMOKING!!! Now, that one really drives me nuts when I hear that one. And most of those people are pretty set in there thinking pattern.

And our Battle Continues, in the every day life of being a grateful lung cancer survivor!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

The smoking doesn't really explain my 2 breast cancers. I was DES exposed, and after the LC, I really decided my DNA was screwed up. And that my body reacted to stress by growing tumors. That's why I'm finally seeing a therapist and taking Zoloft.

Most days the cancer issue doesn't come up.

I enjoyed reading all thse comments. Connie is right, I don't let the smoking thing bother me. I have a number of other factors, any of which could have played an even greater role. I, also like many, quit before my lung cancer. 4 years and 3 months, to be exact. I had Adeno, and I have had doctors tell me that smoking generally is not associated with adeno.

When asked about my smoking, in relation to my lung cancer, I generally "throw" it back to the person, by saying "why do you ask?". Usually you end up with one very embarassed person standing in front of you. They literally don't know why they asked. It is a triggered response.

I recently overheard a woman talking about going thru chemo, while waiting in line at Walmart. I leaned over to her and asked which cancer, and she replied, "leukemia". I congratulated her, as she told me she has been in remission for 4 years. I told her I had lung cancer and, believe it or not, congratulated me for being a survivor. I told her about all the times I was aked about smoking, and she told me that some people are very discourteious. She also said that smoking can be a big issue with many of the cancers, which is true.

We certainly have a "battle" ahead of us, but are making headway. For those that don't yet know, we have representation in Washington. Alliance for Lung Cancer recently signed an agreement with Sheila Ross, a long time staff member and lobbyist in Washington, to represent lung cancer. Sheila is one of us, as she is also a lung cancer survivor.

It is good to see the old faces and the new faces as well.

For the new people, yo may notice this site has a chat room available.

There will an open chat room tomorrow evening, Wednesday, from 8-10 CT. This was started, originally at the Yahoo group and now we have it here. We will have a weekly chat, Wednesday from 8-10 CT.

Hope to see many of the old and many of the new in the chat room.

Here in Japan where I work, they have the highest ratio of adults who smoke in the world. Around 55 percent of adults smoke. They ask if my Dad was a smoker. I said he quit over 25 years ago along with drinking. He was leading a healthy lifestyle and still working at 77. He doesnt deserve it, nobody does. I eat a lot, a bit overweight but I dont deserve to get a heart attack. The bottom line is that its a disease that must get more attention. Sure smoking is not good for your health, but not all smokers get cancer.

Here in Japan, the goverment owns most of the tobacco stocks. So, they dont have strict lables. There warning label is " Smoking may be harmful to your health and to please observe proper smoking manners". Smoking is considered a manly thing to do here. I heard that cancer is on the rise here.