cyberknife

daddyslittlegirl

A few of you have suggested I look in to cyberknife for my dad. Well we asked his radiologist and he said he beleived that my dad could be a candidate for it. So, that's great! It gives us hope. Then, I looked in to it further and realized that it requires the patient to lay on their back for approx. 90 minutes. Not good. You see my dad has a disease called myastheniagravis. Because of that it is very difficult for my dad to lay on his back for any more than 15-20 minutes. So I spoke with someone from the hospital and checked in to it. I asked her if, even though there typically isn't any anesthesia, could they be sedated and or given a breathing tube. She said they have used anesthesia in the past but did not like to. So she told me we should take my dad to see the surgeon and he would be able to tell my dad if it could be done. My problem is that I haven't even mentioned this procedure to my dad. First of all, he doesn't like going to doctors so I don't want to put him through that if they can't do it and get his hopes up. Has anyone had cyberknife or know whether they can give him anything during the procedure? I feel like my hopes are starting to deminish. I'm going to call the surgeon's office tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything before I take my dad in, but I thought I would ask any of you in the mean time. Thank you for any info you can offer.

I can not offer any advice on Cyberknife but can give your post a Bump in hopes that those who can will see it and get in here to help you out. Sending PRayers for dad and family.

Just from what my dad has been going through, be sure to check into insurance coverage, etc. My dad's radiologist is recommending cyberknife for his spot on the liver but his insurance is saying no. They said "it's not a cure, only prolonging".....I think that's the wrong way to look at treatments, but it is very costly if insurance will not cover.

Just a suggestion... :?

hmm. I don't understand why they would say it wouldn't be a cure. Also, if that is the case, why would they cover radiation and chemo? When I called the the hospital they asked what insurance he had. I told them my dad is on medicare and has a supplement. They didn't mention there would be a problem, but I'll look in to it.

Thanks for the info!

I'd double check about insurance, for sure...It's covered here (at least I *think* it is...Mom really didn't care if it was covered or not as it seemed to work wonders for her!).

I'm not sure how it goes with the halo, but Mom said the actual SRS treatment she got took about 5 minutes and just a bit longer than that to get the mask screwed down and unscrewed after...again, that's with the mask and not the halo. However, the preparation process is long and drawn out...but not laying down!!

Best wishes and many prayers!