Gemzar?

sbf815

Can anyone give me any advice on their experience with gemzar? My mom is on her third round of 3 on and 1 off. Yesterday she had treatment and they had a really hard time finding a vein and said she has plebitis. She is going to need a port but they haven't called yet to get her in. She almost couldn't have chemo because once they got a vein they had to run it so slow because it was hurting or burning her. I thought they would get her right in to get a port but I think it is actually the approval from the insurance company they are waiting for. Thanks Stephanie

DEb was on NavelBine and Gemazar for her first line of treatment. They were a fairly mild but effective combo. The burning is not uncommon. Port o caths are a blessing for everything. No more poking for veins ever. they do have to be flushed though and hide very easily though. the wait is minnimal so you are ok for a little bit. Going into the room where they store them is like going into a Bait shop with all the hooks and Lines on the wall, just a forewarning. If i can help let me know. Prayers always.

I too had carboplatin and gemsvar. It wasn't too bad. I lost minimal hair and handled it well. The carbo made me sicker than the gems. I was usually sick on my stomach about the third day after chemo but antinausea meds helped alot. Ask for meds to keep from getting too sick. You want to prevent as much as possible. I hope all goes well for you all.

My mom is on cycle 4 of Carbo/Gemzar and is doing very well. No hair loss, a little nausea when she receives both drugs, but easily handled with nausea meds. Only real side effect so far was a decrease in her blood counts. They gave her neulasta for the WBCs and Aranesp for the RBC. Both went back up and stayed there. The port will be a huge help for your mom. Wishing her the very best! Shelley