Minor pity party..

Terrie

I don't really feel like posting anymore. I don't know that I have much to contribute, am EXTREMELY depressed and, well, kind of hanging in limbo. I apparently didn't get the job I interviewed for several weeks ago - don't know if that's a good thing or not. I feel guilty for even posting this because so many of you are fighting for your lives or your loved ones lives, but I just don't know where to go from here.

Financially we are sinking fast. I haven't worked outside the home for 12 years and was in the middle of a certification class when the diagnosis came. I was able to finish school this summer, but have only made a few half-hearted attempts at job-hunting. I don't even know if I could work - I mean there are days when I think I could, but there are days when just keeping up with my family takes all my energy. Our 12 year old cars are dying, my husband has an absessed tooth and we can't afford the dentist.

Sorry to vent, but life right now seems a bit overwhelming. I have no experience in my field of study, so no one will hire me - but how in the HE*L am I supposed to get experience without a chance?? My husband wants to know why I push my kids so hard with school and college - I told him I didn't want them to be doing this in 25 years. I think I hurt his feelings, but I can't help it. I have to go as I am crying again............

God bless you all -

Terrie

Just a P.S. I went to the local college yesterday for a volunteer tailgate party - you know I wanted to give back to the community that helped us soooo much. Decided to join a local organization - have been pondering this for weeks - who to help, etc., since I wasn't working and everything. Well, the organization has dues - I can't afford. Geeze, I can't even afford to volunteer - this IS sad! (I know there are other ways to help, just not quite as close to home and I don't know if my car will get me there!) he he

I can understand your depression and emotional pain. I am still cancer free and it's been over 2 years since surgery, but there are days when fear strikes. We have no health insurance and the state insurance is so expensive that my husband feels it's not worth having it. I become afraid too of financial issues even though were not broke, the cost of most of the tests is high. I've been trying to get back to work part time also, I do office work and there is very slim pickings right now. Just hang in there. I use faith to get me through the rough days. You are not alone and don't stop posting. Sometimes it helps just to vent and find a little understanding. Nancy

Hi Terrie,

I’m very sorry about the way you are feeling. It is very understandable. Have you talked to a Social Worker about your situation? I do not know what state you live in, but every state has programs to help people. Also have you contacted the Social Security Office to see what you or your husband are entitled to? Where you went to school for your certification, they should be able to help you with your job search. Talk to someone at your local church. Perhaps they can also steer you in the right direction. Hang in there and explore all of your options. I hope this helps. Take care and God Bless.

Rich

http://www.ssa.gov

Becky -

Thanks for your PM - it's nice to know I can vent and SOMEONE is listening!! I can't thank you enough for your suggestion - I tried the temp agency a long time ago (seems that way, anyway!) before my diagnosis, etc. and never followed through - I will start making some calls this week - a GREAT idea!

Nancy -

So thankful for the response - a little understanding is just what I needed! I am home alone usually through the day right now and sometimes I just let those mountains grow, you know??!! I was in a great routine of going to morning Mass for several months last year and that gave me such strength - I think I will try to resume that habit - it couldn't hurt, right???

Thanks - feeling better this p.m. -

Terrie

Terrie

I don't know much about it but have you looked into any work from home situations? I know there are a lot of scams out there but I also know there are some legitimate ones where you can do typing and transcription from home. I know a couple of women who do medical transcriptions from home. Since you have a computer why not put an ad in a local paper that you will do typing from home for students, etc. Sounds like you are overwhelmed right now, I know the feeling but try looking into something that you can do at your own schedule. I am very fortunate that I have my own business that I had before my diagnosis and I can still do it a lesser pace now. Just take it one day at a time and pray, God usually comes through.

Bess B

Terry,

I find so much peace in church. It is a place I can talk to Him and give myself and all the problems I have to him to help me solve them.

I don't know what field you have studied for but if you are by an IRS center, they are always looking for workers. Normally one has to start out at a low pay but it sure doesn't take long to get ahead when we put forth the effort.

You might also want to print some info on you and distribute it to local medical buildings. Seems they to are always looking for helpers. This may be somewhere you could work at home and type their medical reports.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Terie, so sorry so many things are overwhelming you right now. Please know that you can vent here anytime. We are all in this together. I was shocked that an organization to help others would have dues! Sometimes those organizations have funds to help people who can't pay. You might want to check into that. I think helping others is a great idea for you. Don

Just an update -

Thank you all so much for the encouragement - I have taken some of the advice and put it to use. I am certified to transcribe medical records, but everyone seems to want experience, hence the problem. That and the fact that to work at home, I would need additional equipment, software, etc.

I came across an old article in the newspaper, which I thought I had thrown out months ago. In it, a disabled friend of ours was helped by a govt. agency to find a job and locate equipment. Turns out, I was eligible also. It was the Office for Vocational Rehabilitation. I am pursuing the same avenues as before, but they will help with perhaps on-the-job training, or job-sharing, etc. I have already met with them and was pleasantly surprised by my case-worker's attitude - she was great!!

I have been recharged and am ready to move ahead. It is great having so many friends behind me as I move forward!! Hugs to you all!

Terrie